Hello again. Another basic question? How do you know what case to purchase for a particular movement? I've been learning to service watches. Not yet fully proficient, but getting there. I spent time on basic movements from ebay. Many are full movements with the dials and hands. I have got them working. I would like to place some in cases so that I can wear them periodically. What have you members done at this stage? Keep them for more practice later or have you put some in a case? If so how do you get the cases and how do you know what size to get?

I have a delightful Bernex with an ETA 2390 movement. As you can see from the photographs it is just the movement and the dial. What else would I need please?

Thank you

Ross

20220630_201739.jpg

20220630_201759.jpg

20220630_201838.jpg

Edited by rossjackson01
grammar

11 hours ago, rossjackson01 said:

How do you know what case to purchase for a particular movement?

Have you read the pinned topic below? In short, more mov.ts are offered compared to empty cases, be vintage or current. Of course you can buy a case where the inner opening is at least bigger that you mov.t and dial, but don't assume that getting all the fine details right, like stem height, hands height, quality metal casing ring, etc are easy to accommodate. That is why when buying for restoration is always better to start with a complete watch, not lose mov.ts.

Edited by jdm
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, rossjackson01 said:

Hello again. Another basic question? How do you know what case to purchase for a particular movement? I've been learning to service watches. Not yet fully proficient, but getting there. I spent time on basic movements from ebay. Many are full movements with the dials and hands. I have got them working. I would like to place some in cases so that I can wear them periodically. What have you members done at this stage? Keep them for more practice later or have you put some in a case? If so how do you get the cases and how do you know what size to get?

I have a delightful Bernex with an ETA 2390 movement. As you can see from the photographs it is just the movement and the dial. What else would I need please?

Thank you

Ross

20220630_201739.jpg

20220630_201759.jpg

20220630_201838.jpg

Good job Ross, you are doing great matey. Generally though the watch movement is powered by a spring that is called a mainspring and rubberbands are not used as they are too stretchy and tend to twang out of the watch as yours has. Nice colour though 👍. Do you have a shirt to match ? 😉 

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
Sarcasm the lowest and funniest form of wit 😂
  • Haha 1

Hi Ross,

Go to Dr ranfft's site to see the measurement he designates  as T , F and  H  etc , he shows what each letter stands for, somewhere in his site. 

The movement at hand will be accomodated in a case with the sizes he specifies for T, F and H. which are stem hight , thickness of the movemwnt so on. 

NOS original Swiss case is a rare bird, but you stand a chance of finding a Chinese made one.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Good job Ross, you are doing great matey. Generally though the watch movement is powered by a spring that is called a mainspring and rubberbands are not used as they are too stretchy and tend to twang out of the watch as yours has. Nice colour though 👍. Do you have a shirt to match ? 😉 

Lol. Seriously Ross, it could be cheaper and a lot less hassle buying watches that have the movement cased. Depending on your choice of genre. Uncased are fantastic for practicing your skills on and the odd little gem that you might come across is always worth a bit more time and effort to get it on your wrist.. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Lol. Seriously Ross, it could be cheaper and a lot less hassle buying watches that have the movement cased. Depending on your choice of genre. Uncased are fantastic for practicing your skills on and the odd little gem that you might come across is always worth a bit more time and effort to get it on your wrist.. 

Think you are correct. It's just that I'm excited by the very new hobby. Something that I am able to  achieve something with.

Regards

Ross

• Like 1

Finding cases which fit is very difficult, unless you find one for that specific model, and even then it might not fit. I bought a NOS case for a specific ETA movement, and it didn't fit properly because of the dial size. I had to make a spacer. 

So, your chances are not great, unless you can find a cheap scrapper with the same movement. 

• Thanks 1