Hello from Napa CA

Hi all. 

Been tinkering on watches for about 2 months now.  some success some failure.  My plan is to learn as much as possible before I turn 60 (9 years from now) so that when I retire, maybe I can earn some extra income repairing and restoring watches.  I am a lifelong tinkerer .  Known to many as "macgyver"  I have a knack for figuring out how things work.  last 10 years been working on scooters, dirt bikes, motorcycles, and cars.  Made pretty good money flipping them.  Not to mention the honey do's around the house and my inventions with my camper.  I work in the wine industry here and have been for pretty much my whole life. I have bought all the tools that I need for now for watch making. I am currently working on pocket watches.  I buy them in bulk for cheap and repair them (if possible) and clean them up.  No loss $$ if I break them or loose a piece, they are there for learning for me.  I got a bumch of ladies movements too but those are for later down the road

Look forward to getting to know you all, and a pre emptive thank you for the info I'm sure I will get from here!

IMG_0623.PNG

Welcome to the forum!

I visit daily (at least for the last few months) and have yet to have my first eBay purchase really get going. I started with an Elgin grade 313, bought a second 313 and incorrectly assumed that I could mix-and-match parts. Ended up screwing up the balance after getting one assembled version running for a while but in trying to get beyond 60 seconds or so I did more part swapping and eventually screwed the pooch.

Anyway, I've subsequently cleaned and started the re-assembly of a Buren Grand Prix, found a broken setting lever spring and purchased another which appears similar as far as the plates, bridges and wheels go but the keyless is different.

Have also fooled with a Seagull ST36 and dissolved the glue holding the h/s to the balance stud - so purchased another one of those too.

There's also an Omega 620 but I've been advised to leave it alone until I stop shooting screws and springs off into never-neverland with my tweezers. Sounds like good advice.

So, what I'm saying is that you may see posts from me but I'm still a padawan learner...   🙂 

• Like 1

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

We all look forward to your contributions and continued involvement. 

I have bought all the tools that I need for now for watch making. 

Do you have a watch cleaning machine, lathe, staking tool and Jewelling tool. Expensive tools to buy. 

OLD Hippy - No haven't got those tools yet.  I have the screw drivers, oils, digital microscope, and the weishi 1000, plus a couple other nick nacks.  So far for what I am doing its been all I have needed.  As time progresses and I hone my skills i will start getting the other equipment