Spitfire flyover

Top one is a Spitfire. I just watched a YT video on those last night. I didn't realize that they went from the mk1 all the way up to the mk24 (although every variation wasn't built or flown). Most had the same airframe. One variation had the wingtips chopped off. The later variations had much higher HP Rolls engines.

I think the lower one is a Hurricane.

hurricane drawing.jpg

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Two super marine spitfires take to the skies over south and  east Uk. I was lucky enough to be directly below. 

20220602_190349.jpg

The spitfire is the one on the left. You can tell by its wing shape. 

• Like 1

I met an ex-Spitfire pilot in Darwin many years ago.

If I remember correctly, he said that the Hurricane was far more manouverable, but could not match the Spitfire for outright speed.

Was fascinating to talk to him.

Edited by Michael1962
  • Like 1

Apparently there were more than 22,000 Spitfires produced v. approx. 14,400 Hurricanes.

In the YT that I watched last night it said that they chopped the wingtips off some of the mk.V versions to make the Spitfire able to roll easier and be more maneuverable. 

They started out with 1030 hp Rolls-Royce Merlin III engines in the mk.1 (1938) and finished up with 2120 hp Rolls-Royce Griffon 85 engines in the mk.24 (1947).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, oldhippy said:

Actually Rich yes you were correct a spitfire and a hurricane, for some reason a change was made to the aircraft choice.

10 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Apparently there were more than 22,000 Spitfires produced v. approx. 14,400 Hurricanes.

In the YT that I watched last night it said that they chopped the wingtips off some of the mk.V versions to make the Spitfire able to roll easier and be more maneuverable. 

They started out with 1030 hp Rolls-Royce Merlin III engines in the mk.1 (1938) and finished up with 2120 hp Rolls-Royce Griffon 85 engines in the mk.24 (1947).

22,000 spitfires manufactured only 54 left in existence. Around 2-4 million depending on its condition if you fancy one. 50,000 a year to maintain it and 30,000 for your insurance to fly it.

12 hours ago, oldhippy said:

I managed to get a better photo while i was flying alongside wearing my cape,spandex outfit and boots

IMG-20220603-WA0000.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

I managed to get a better photo while i was flying alongside wearing my cape,spandex outfit and boots

How do you keep warm at altitude? I found spandex to be a little thin above 1000ft. I seldom go above that now that I'm a little older

Edited by gbyleveldt
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

only 54 left in existence.

Those were among the survivors flown by brave guys who were a lot younger than us.

7 hours ago, oldhippy said:

How about this.

That's a beautiful case back on that IWC. My IWC Mark XV Spitfire doesn't have that on the case back. I believe they increment the Mark designation each time they do a release and the watch is popular (likely since it is relatively affordable). The movement is surrounded by an iron ring which (they say) will prevent the movement from becoming magnetized due to the high RPM's of the engine that the pilot was sitting behind.

IWC case back.jpg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Erm have you seen the environment when I'm at home. Current address Fortress of Solitude. 

20220603_112319.jpg

Lol. It was my daughter's idea, when she was a little girl she used to say "daddy you can do anything cant you", she's now 28 and still says "dad you can do anything" bless her ❤

• Like 1

I was getting the blurb on these mailed to me. For some reason, I think they said that they were going to be able to use metal from a Spitfire to make these watches.

Though that might be something I made up after too many hours of internet looking at YT videos and browsing forums and looking at ebay to find watches that I wanted to buy and little sleep.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Michael1962 said:

I was getting the blurb on these mailed to me. For some reason, I think they said that they were going to be able to use metal from a Spitfire to make these watches.

Though that might be something I made up after too many hours of internet looking at YT videos and browsing forums and looking at ebay to find watches that I wanted to buy and little sleep.

That happens 😅 good idea though. I would want some evidence before i bought one though.

16 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Lol. It was my daughter's idea, when she was a little girl she used to say "daddy you can do anything cant you", she's now 28 and still says "dad you can do anything" bless her ❤

Just in case anyone thought i was kidding about my current address 😅. Its actually my postal address 

16 hours ago, Neverenoughwatches said:

Btw the S isn't an S. Its the family EL symbol . It stands for HOPE. My daughter is my Supergirl i tell her she can do so much more than me. X

20220604_123046.jpg

Edited by Neverenoughwatches
  • Like 1