GSW 70 71

28EAB106-FF1D-48DB-B03B-E383AF443407.thumb.jpeg.4d1b95e2c89f18dea37ea5cf3d21bdf6.jpeg8DDCD0B1-8B22-4057-BB02-C8A09B5FC2D6.thumb.jpeg.19e7002b93107ef89e4d61e1a23321e6.jpegHi folks,

I dismantled this movement and now I’m reassembling it.  I was careful about taking photos and keeping the parts in order, but now I’m not sure what to do.

The photo shows the part I am trying to locate (centre pinion?).  This should be the part according to my system.  But I would have to force it in, which worries me.  I have checked the bridge, and the wheel fits.  Could someone please let me know if this is correct before I potentially make a mistake.

Thanks, J

Is the part in question actually two parts, the canon pinion and the centre wheel, friction fitted together, or is this only one part.

In some cases the wheel and the pinion are separate parts and in some cases they are integrated into one part. Therefore it is possible that the wheel fits from the balance side of the movement and the canon pinion from the dial side. This is just a guess of course since I don't know how the movement was designed.

Do you have detailed pictures of the part when you removed it?

If it is two parts, then you may need to very carefully separate them again, and fit the canon pinion from the dial side.

Also, the dial appears to be fitted in the above image, and I would suggest that is the last thing to be fitted before the hands, so perhaps you might have more luck trying to fit it with the dial removed again.

Whatever you do though, tread carefully, you don't want to force anything, as that will almost certainly end badly.

Edited by AndyHull

1 hour ago, Turtle said:

28EAB106-FF1D-48DB-B03B-E383AF443407.thumb.jpeg.4d1b95e2c89f18dea37ea5cf3d21bdf6.jpeg8DDCD0B1-8B22-4057-BB02-C8A09B5FC2D6.thumb.jpeg.19e7002b93107ef89e4d61e1a23321e6.jpegHi folks,

I dismantled this movement and now I’m reassembling it.  I was careful about taking photos and keeping the parts in order, but now I’m not sure what to do.

The photo shows the part I am trying to locate (centre pinion?).  This should be the part according to my system.  But I would have to force it in, which worries me.  I have checked the bridge, and the wheel fits.  Could someone please let me know if this is correct before I potentially make a mistake.

Thanks, J

Hi J. A movement ID and also a look at the dial name to help with that is always the best start when asking for help as there are so many and with varing design differences. Once ID-ed, someone may very well know that particular movement inside and out and be able to give you a full walkthough. That aside can we see the other side of the centre wheel please and also a picture of the dial.  As Andy has said  the dial shouldnt be on when reassembling and certainly restrain from using any amount of force. I'm assuming you removed the dial first along with the hands so it should be one of the last to fit back. How did you remove the centre wheel and cannon pinion from the movement ? Can we see your first few dis assembly photos please, especially the first one as it may point to mistakes of a previous attempt at repairing or watch breaking as the case may be.  Generally these are two separate pieces, the center wheel fits in from the side you have showing and then the cannon pinion is also one of the last parts to go be installed to be friction fitted on to the centre wheel on  the keyless side without the dial on. But the rest of the train wheels,bridges etc on this side need to be installed and checked for operation first before fitting the cannon pinion.  So photos of dial face and other side of the centre wheel along with first few disassembly as well please matey.

"Geneva Sport Watch" Cal 70 ?

The base model is Cal 50 - Cousins have parts for this model and list separate parts for "Centre Wheel" and "Cannon Pinion". Therefore it should look like this :

image.png.db1d1cc797a991565959f3f290add21e.png

Did you push the parts back together ?  The cannon pinion "clicks" on to the centre wheel. If it has been pushed on it can be tricky to remove it without damaging the centre wheel.

Hi again and thank you for your help.  I separated the centre wheel and cannon pinion (luckily my loupes had arrived on Monday).  Things were easy to work out after that and it is ticking again.  I’m so glad I found this forum  (big smile).

• Like 1