A bought this movement long ago when a first started watch repair have now notice it has two different serial numbers on the dial side the movement has serial 27358 but when a turn it to the barrel bridge side it has a longer number 4464362 a went on pocketwatchdatabase on the website when a type the small serial number it saying 1857 type long number it saying 1883 so I'm not sure what is the actual movement.

On 5/28/2022 at 12:37 PM, Murks said:

dial side the movement has serial 27358 but when a turn it to the barrel bridge side it has a longer number 4464362

Reading serial numbers in pictures upside down isn't my specialty but I'm being confused here? 3927358  Is what I'm reading which differs from the number that you have above but maybe by reading skills suck so I'm attaching your image right side up to see if anyone else agrees with my poor reading skills.

In the early days of American watch manufacturing typically the parts were all made in batches. Then the plates to keep the holes all in alignment the holes are all drilled the same time. This means that all the plate components will have serial numbers to keep them together. Even the balance wheel will usually have the serial number or part of inscribed on the wheel itself. When people start mixing and matching components that is a very bad thing.

Then yes the wording on the pocket watch databases correct for the serial number because both Waltham and Elgin exported a heck of a lot of watches to the UK. 

https://pocketwatchdatabase.com/search/result/waltham/3927358

Waltham serial number c.JPG

10 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

The hand-stamped 27358 seems like it might have been added by somebody at the bench.

No it was done at the factory. It just doesn't have to be engraved and looking nice and fancy like the main plate would.

1 minute ago, JohnR725 said:

it was done at the factory

I figured that John, I just meant that it could have been hand-stamped by an individual doing the final assembly on several movements where the plates had been "properly" stamped during manufacture. But maybe they all look like that.