I dared to service my Kieninger 4/4 Westminster

Kalanag

In 1991 my mother in law gave me this new Kieninger jubelee clock as a gift

IMG_3775.jpg.a453d447c7ad7303f966f1f49c3002bb.jpg

Searching the internet I stumbled over the following advise to buy new instead paying for service.

IMG_2840.thumb.jpg.6a374b0c7439daf50050c692b5901bcf.jpg

That gave me the final trigger to service the movement myself knowing that I would get help by the experienced guys in this forum if necessary.

I was concerned whether I would be able to restore the correct timing after reassembly because I couldn`t find any service literature about this specific movement. So I at least tried to read and learn something about locking cams, snails, "warning" etc..

Then I disassembled the movement carefully accompanied by a lot of pictures taken with my cellphone.

For releasing the mainsprings I made a simple tool out of an aluminum pipe with handle and a cheap spare key.

IMG_3770.thumb.jpg.ebe08d67148f49fa5d03dcff2c28e5b7.jpg

IMG_3753.thumb.jpg.c4cff134df82b6444b26c33e2094e26e.jpg

IMG_3763.thumb.jpg.5d5f33e368b102073bb9e93530376ac1.jpg

All parts were washed in alcohol with a brush and came out nice and shiny.

I have to confess that I didn't remove the mainsprings not having a winder. So I just opened the lids and made sure that the oil was not yet hardened. As soon as I have a appropriate mainspring winder I can remove the barrels later easily by just pulling the arbors. For oiling the bearings I used the D5 that was handy from my watch servicing. I think it should work.

To my surprise I found that timing of this movement can all be done without aligning the wheels during assembly beforehand. But it took me half a day to finally understand how the chime locking system with auto correction worked and how it had to be adjusted. Some pictures here:

IMG_3766.thumb.jpg.69f06b467beafa52a699847a5369bc14.jpg

IMG_3767.thumb.JPEG.6c80bf9c352c0aaeb38dcf41214d12c8.JPEG

IMG_3768.thumb.JPEG.8ab8b614168c711b5483551489bbb2d6.JPEG

I'm happy with the result and want to encourage others to service their repair friendly Kieninger movements 🙂

Edited by Kalanag
  • Like 3

"just replace it for $900", that kind of advice only a cynical seller can give.

Excellent work. Straight to results without swinging around in doubts and useless chat. You did well in leaving the mainspring alone. I encourage you to do more, for yourself, family or friends, or even paid work.   

Edited by jdm
  • Like 2

Well done, for your first time to do a clock like that you are a braver man then me, when i started it was a 2 train movement and i struggled with that getting it back together😂 again as jdm has said excellent work. 

• Like 1

If this is the first chiming clock you have undertaken you have done extremely well. You have a good understanding of the workings not only the train wheels but all the other parts that make up the workings. I always suggest someone who is starting out start with a simple 30 hour alarm clock, then move through to a pendulum timepiece, strike then a chime. Leaving French clocks until you have the knowledge and confidence of the others.

Get yourself a bottle of Windels clock oil that is the one to use on all clocks. A pocket watch oil for when you have a clock with a platform escapement.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, oldhippy said:

…Get yourself a bottle of Windels clock oil that is the one to use on all clocks. A pocket watch oil for when you have a clock with a platform escapement.

I still have a bottle of 30 years old Dr.Tillwich‘s Clock 859 but was not sure if it had degraded with time. What do you think?

For the price of a bottle of oil I don't think I would use it. But don't throw it away, later on when and if you start bluing screws you can use it for quenching the screws or on a stone to dress out the blades of screwdrivers.  

• Like 1