Buren 410 Setting Lever

After destroying the Elgin 313 balance and not having any luck combining the other parts from the two movements, I put that aside and was going to re-assemble the Buren 410 Grand Prix. Unfortunately the setting lever gave up the ghost. I've seen other movements for quite a bit and I believe that I've actually found single piece parts (for what I paid for this whole movement).

I guess I'll set this aside as well. Maybe I'll see some 410 movements at reasonable prices?

Next up I guess will be the Omega 620. Last time I touched it, it looked like the balance wanted to go - maybe there's hope for that one?

This shot was taken with the 100M28. I also took several with the same lens with 21mm of extension tubes installed but this was overall a better image.

sl 717 small.jpg

11 hours ago, grsnovi said:

After destroying the Elgin 313 balance and not having any luck combining the other parts from the two movements, I put that aside…

These are the unevitable setbacks and frustrating moments on the long way to mastery. I learned that especially in watchmaking you cann‘t imagine what can go wrong before it has gone wrong. I would wait with the Omega…

Edited by Kalanag
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Unfortunately the setting lever gave up the ghost.

Horological terminology can always be interesting because in different parts of the world parts may have a slightly different meaning. But I'm pretty sure that the part you have a picture of is not a setting lever. I would probably go with the term set bridge it does by the way cross reference with some other movements I have a link . Then it looks like it might actually be in stock.

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=X`_D_J

http://www.julesborel.com/s.nl/it.A/id.58111/.f

14 hours ago, grsnovi said:

After destroying the Elgin 313 balance and not having any luck combining the other parts from the two movements, I put that aside and was going to re-assemble the Buren 410 Grand Prix. Unfortunately the setting lever gave up the ghost. I've seen other movements for quite a bit and I believe that I've actually found single piece parts (for what I paid for this whole movement).

I guess I'll set this aside as well. Maybe I'll see some 410 movements at reasonable prices?

Next up I guess will be the Omega 620. Last time I touched it, it looked like the balance wanted to go - maybe there's hope for that one?

This shot was taken with the 100M28. I also took several with the same lens with 21mm of extension tubes installed but this was overall a better image.

sl 717 small.jpg

I have a Buren Grand Prix with exactly the same issue. 

8 hours ago, Kalanag said:

I would wait with the Omega…

That is probably wise advise! I still have a smaller Elgin grade I haven't opened as well as the Pobeda Zim that hasn't yet arrived.

10 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Have you shown all the pieces?

Ahh, having just visited Dr. Ranfft's site I see what you mean. My dial side looks different in the keyless area. In fact, I looked at all of the 10.5 manuals and I didn't see anything close. Just attached a shot of he keyless works prior to cleaning.

665.jpg

5 hours ago, RichardHarris123 said:

I have a Buren Grand Prix with exactly the same issue.

Defect in the design or the material possibly. 

dial side.jpg

stuck - dial side.jpg

Edited by grsnovi
visited Ranfft and noticed dial side differences, added dial side shot and shot of keyless prior to cleaning

4 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Ahh, having just visited Dr. Ranfft's site I see what you mean. My dial side looks different in the keyless area. In fact, I looked at all of the 10.5 manuals and I didn't see anything close.

In watch repair the classic way to figure out a mystery movement is if you know the diameter the main plate so you have the size you go to the fingerprint system of the bestfit book. Then you can look at the setting parts because they're all unique and see if you can find your setting parts and then you know what your mystery movement is.

Your movement for instance is not a 410 as they setting components do not match at all which you've already confirmed so this brings up the problem of why do you think it is a 410?

I snipped out an image and? I'm not finding much information on the 195 or any parts at least one normally looking

best fit setting components identification of movement.JPG

3 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

why do you think it is a 410

I don't remember why I thought it was a 410. It might have been based on a cursory scan of Ranfft based on the 10.5 size and the fact that the train side of the 410 closely resembles the one I have.

3 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I'm not finding much information on the 195

It certainly looks like the 195 based on the above image. Ranfft doesn't show a 195.

Edited by grsnovi