How to open caseback which does not have grooves or slots

k3l3k

Hi, Please could I get some directions on how to open the case-back for the watch in the attached picture? It does not have have grooves or slots on the display case-back. I have already tried the Bergeon ball. Which tool do I need? Thanks.

P20321-080336.jpg

P20321-080247.jpg

There is a high probability that it is a snap on back. There being no groove or indication is no disclaimer as some of these can be very tight having been fitted by machine. Try to insert a sharp  Hobby knife/safty razor balde into the seam working it to achieve a gap large enough for a case knife.

There are tools avaiable for removing case backs and bezels.  I use this type which has opened one or two stubborn ones.

caseback removal tool.jpg

If you can see a thread then it is possible it is a screw back, in such case the tool mentioned will be of no use, The sticky ball did not work so use the super glue method. Glue a large nut to the case back and when set use a wrench to un screw if sucessful soak the back in acetone (nail varnish remover) and this will release the nut. The case will be clean or cleaned with the same.  If its a screw back this will remove it for sure. Never had one fail .

1 hour ago, k3l3k said:

I can see screw threading on the side of the case back and wondering if I need a suction type tool? 

From the unclear picture above there is no gap, how can you see threads?

6 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

If you can see a thread then it is possible it is a screw back, in such case the tool mentioned will be of no use

That is a glass back, even if one can get good adhesion to the glass it does not seem a good idea to placing force on it, beside it could just end leaving the seat. That being said, a screw back without slots, or any form of ridging would be an absolute first.

20 minutes ago, k3l3k said:

I can feel a threading with fingers.

Sorry, how can you fell a thread if it's closed like an oyster? And if it's not fully closed it should not be that tight either.

However, since it's a quality watch, possibly is indeed a screwed caseback, the intended way to open and close it is to use a special crown rubber die on a bench opener, which presses on the metal bezel not on the glass. Never seen a such die or watch myself.

1 hour ago, k3l3k said:

OK, Some more pics.

Can you take two more in between the lugs, with the strap out ouf the way for as much is possible. And one from straight above capturing the numbers that are present in the picture from the internet. If these don't align at 12 or 6, that's normally an indication about being a screwed back. 

• 1 year later...