Date of (different) old clock.

John123

This is partially a follow up to Davey57's post with a similar title, but I didn't want to hijack that thread with a different clock. I've been trying to identify the maker of an old clock that I inherited, and it too has some figures scratched into the back of the case. I'd been reading these as 14/34, but after seeing Davey's post, I'm wondering if it could possibly be 14 1 34, as in 14 Jan 1934. Crudely scratching numbers onto the case with a screwdriver seems like an odd way to date it at the factory, but I suppose it's possible.  The letters underneath could be OXP. There's no maker's name anywhere on the clock, only 'Made in England' on the brass plate at the back. The mechanism looks a lot like pictures I've seen of Smith Enfield clocks, but despite looking at a lot of clocks online I've never come across a Smith Enfield without some kind of branding.  The glass at the front opens what feels like the 'wrong way' to me, with the hinges at the 3 side, but maybe that's not unusual.  I'd be interested if anyone has any thoughts on whether or not it could be a Smith Enfield and if 1934 is a feasible date.  P.S It's goes and strikes fine. P.P.S. I'm aware it's not a valuable antique, I'm just curious.   

IMG_20220313_133410598.thumb.jpg.e720f59d0365801c514cef771c83600b.jpg     

IMG_20220313_133113591.jpg

IMG_20220313_133323293.jpg

The style is in the form of Art Deco because of the shape of the bezel and the shape of the hands. Certainly it dates around the 1930's. Is there nothing on the bottom of the dial? It sure looks like a Smiths.  Looks like a mistake made in the manufacture of the back plate (red circle) at first I thought it was a bushing but seeing the oil sinks on the strike side it is some mistake. The stamping of Made in England is very crude when magnified. Sorry I can't be more positive about your clock.   

IMG_20220313_133323293.jpg.0a2fab57280067c8ae1b2975aa88ffae.jpg

15 hours ago, RogerH said:

it does look spot on - it even has the same mark OH highlighted. What's the story with it?

Hi all i know from the book is Enfield purchased the German production line for the BADUF striking clock and installed it at Edmonton. The clocks produced were sold as the Enfield 14-day striking clock and were the F1 one model. As you can see in the photo they are near enough identical. This time oldhippy i did post the photo😀

IMG_20220315_074737215.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you all very much for the replies. All very helpful and interesting. That Enfield F1 movement does indeed look exactly like mine, and despite possibly having no lubrication in the last 50 years, it still runs for almost 14 days between winds. I've double and triple checked, and there really is no makers name anywhere on the clock. Based on the posts above, and that the clock, to my inexpert eye, looks quite roughly put together, I'm wondering if it could be some bottom of the range Smiths Enfield model that they didn't want to put their name to.  Equipped with the new information you've supplied, I'll continue my research and report back if I come up with anything interesting. Thanks again for the help. 

• 1 month later...

A quick update. I found a clock identical to mine on an old ebay listing where it is described as a 1930s Enfield art deco 14-day striking mantel clock.  I also got hold of the May 1980 edition of Clocks magazine which has an article on the Enfield Clock Company. That article states that 1935/36 saw the introduction of a 14 day clock fully complete to sell for the highly competitive price of 10 shillings. 25 000 of these 10s clocks were purchased by the firm of Dupont brothers who sold door to door on credit. I suspect that this door-to-door route is how the clock entered my family.  So, my curiosity is now satisfied. Thanks for all the help supplied in this thread, which turned out to be spot on. 

I attach a picture of the ebay clock, in somewhat better condition than my own.       

enfield.jpg

No sorry. I sold all mine many years ago. When I retired I only kept a few tools and got rid of all the other. I wish I had kept everything but I would need a large workshop to keep it all in. Because I have been on this site for a few years I have got interested in horology again and I have bought two lathes Unimat 3 with loads of accessories a mainspring winder identical to what I had a few clocks and some books.    

I have nice French clock a strike on bell that keeps stopping so I need to look at that. A French timepiece just one of those black slate jobs. A Georgian fusee chime on bells which needs a lot of work, don't know when I'll get round to that. I don't do much in the restoration side only when the mood take me. I'm to wrapped up in looking after my two cats Freddie & Buster both about 18 months old and genealogy which take up most of my time I have been working on that for must be about 17 years. 

On 4/16/2022 at 8:16 AM, oldhippy said:

I used to buy Clocks magazine had the very first addition and bought it for years after. I even had articles I had written published in some very early copies.  

OH I have cancelled my Clock Magazine this year because it is just poorly put together with very little help to an amateur such as myself. 

I have just looked at their web site and it see its £7.95 a copy. Would you believe it they charge £8 95 for old back issues from 1979.  I used to have it on subscription it was always first class I learned a lot from it. 

clockboy your no amateur.