Hello all

Hello, I’m Anne and am new to the forum.  I’ve picked up some vintage mechanical watches over the last 15 years ranging from the 1930’s to 1960’s, mostly ladies watches.  Some of the watches are non runners and I am keen to learn about watch repairing.  I’ve been looking on this forum for a while and everyone seems friendly, helpful and down to earth.  I’ve spent some time recently reading up and watching videos and have taken apart my first watch recently.  I look forward to getting to know everyone.  

• Like 1

Hello Anne and welcome to the forum,  and a Yorkshire lass to boot, lived in Tadcaster for 60 years before noving to the far north.    I have attached a couple of documents for you to have a look at I hope you find them useful     .  Whats your location, as a field engineer I traveled the County.

1612608791_ToolsfortheHobbyist (2) (1).pdf TZIllustratedGlossary.pdf

Anne, you are blessed and cursed at the same time. Blessed because the level of interest in ladies' watches is relatively low and there are bargains to be had. Cursed because everything is so tiny and much more challenging to work on. However, as a lass you will likely have a dexterity that most lads can only dream of. The standard advice applies. Start big and work your was down.

As Klassiker said  nimble fingers,  Most of the assemblers at the Timex factory in scotland were all women.     The wife is a Leeds Girl Woodhouse leeds 6.   a loooooong time ago.

Grab some pocket watches to practise on and get used to the mechanism, plenty of help here and post pictures along with any enquirey, makes our lives easier.

I know what you mean about how tiny they are!  I’m used to close work due to sewing projects so already have various magnifiers but this takes it to another level!  I removed a tiny screw with tweezers only to have it ping off into the unknown, never to be seen again.  I will practice on some bigger movements.  I have to say it’s a hobby that becomes addictive and have lost myself for hours on it so far.  I’m always coming up with questions so looked forward to posting on here.  I’ve already spent hours on the forum as a guest, benefitting from all the expertise.

A useful tip is to get a maget (one of those used for holding knives) and use it to swwep the floor to pick up small bits, Screws etc. We have all spent time on our knees and still do you are not alone. another tip is check the tweezer points are parallel when closed and dress with fine enert on the inside of the point cross ways, smooth inside the tips leads to escapees.  another tip is if you are removing something which is liable to go walk about do it in a large clear plastic bag that way you have it cornered or use a bit of rodico to hold it especially click springs.

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum Anne. Enjoy.

I had an escapee which was large by watch standards. A screw from the wife sunglasses. I was in the garage repairing them for her. Screw dropped on the floor. Felt it hit my foot (yeah, I know. It was BIG), but it was still lost all the same.