Water Resistance gasket for a Tissot 660t

Hello, I have an old Tissot 660t that has stopped working. It's on it's 2nd movement (which only lasted 3 years), but I'm told that there is not a gasket available for the water resistant gasket. It could be fixed but would not be water resistant. I don't think it would be worth fixing without the gasket.

I'd like to get a second opinion from some experts.  Thank you.

20220311_111037.jpg

20220311_110956.jpg

It all depends on your intended use of the watch, If going swimming or diving etc, then getting a gasket fitted is essential as is pressure testing. But if its for general wearing  or occasional use then not so. I myself wear a watch daily that is standard and would not pass a waterproof test but for many years has had no ingress of water during normal use. There may be generic gasket that would fit. My supposition is that there are no genuine gaskets available, Generics quite possibly.

Have you opened it up and measured the original or the casee ?

3 hours ago, spyglass said:

I'm told that there is not a gasket available for the water resistant gasket.

I find out a interesting statement as it looks like a screw off case back it's probably just a round gasket.: If you're worrying about the gaskets what about the crystal and the crown both of them have gaskets.

Then it be really nice to get a picture of the inside of the watch showing with the gasket goes, a picture of the gasket and the inside case back. I might Be able to look up the actual gasket specifications but I need an exact case number.

19 hours ago, watchweasol said:

It all depends on your intended use of the watch, If going swimming or diving etc, then getting a gasket fitted is essential as is pressure testing. But if its for general wearing  or occasional use then not so. I myself wear a watch daily that is standard and would not pass a waterproof test but for many years has had no ingress of water during normal use. There may be generic gasket that would fit. My supposition is that there are no genuine gaskets available, Generics quite possibly.

Have you opened it up and measured the original or the casee ?

Thanks, good info, Wouldn't humidity eventually get in there and short out the mechanism?

I haven't opened it up. All I have is some standard pliers. It's not so easy opening that thing without the proper tools. I want to be able to get it back on, too, to keep it in a sellable condition.

I don't care if the gasket is genuine or not, a generic would be fine.

16 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

I find out a interesting statement as it looks like a screw off case back it's probably just a round gasket.: If you're worrying about the gaskets what about the crystal and the crown both of them have gaskets.

Then it be really nice to get a picture of the inside of the watch showing with the gasket goes, a picture of the gasket and the inside case back. I might Be able to look up the actual gasket specifications but I need an exact case number.

Not sure I can get it off with the tools I have. I'm just a layman.

Hi as far as condensation occuring , that usually happens when moisture is already in the watch and the heat from wearing the watch condenses it. If its kept dry and not imersed in water for periods ie swimming etc should be no problem.   There are inexpensive tools on the internet for removing the case backs for under a tenner,  ok for occasional use  not professional tools.

4 hours ago, spyglass said:

Not sure I can get it off with the tools I have. I'm just a layman.

Unfortunately this is a watch repair discussion group we thought you were in watch repair Or this was your start in the watch repair in which case some basic tools will be needed.

Without the basic tools to take the back off and put it back on again your options become very limited. To basically finding somebody else different in watch repair and taking your watch they are letting them fix it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Unfortunately this is a watch repair discussion group we thought you were in watch repair Or this was your start in the watch repair in which case some basic tools will be needed.

Without the basic tools to take the back off and put it back on again your options become very limited. To basically finding somebody else different in watch repair and taking your watch they are letting them fix it. 

I apologize. I was not aware. Thanks for the helpful comments I got.

2 hours ago, spyglass said:

I apologize. I was not aware.

Apology is not necessary.

There's no problem with asking watch repair questions. The problem becomes whether you want to fix it yourself or find somebody else to fix it for you. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, spyglass said:

s a matter of interest, when I took it to an honest watch technician, all it needed was a cleaning. The gasket was fine, and the movement did not need to be replaced. I was lied to by the first shop I took it to.

Out of curiosity how did the honest technician determined that the gaskets were good? The reason I ask is the only way you can really tell is they have to have a waterproof testing machine. You really can't look visually at the gaskets on the other hand the person who said you couldn't replace them was also incorrect because I'm sure they could be replaced even with generic round gaskets because people do that all the time and then it would pass a water resistance test.

Then I assume the watch is now running as you had the second shop do the servicing?

Then it isn't necessarily honesty that is causing the problem. There's a lot of shops that won't even think of servicing a quartz watch that means the only thing they can do is replace the movement. In other words basically you have unskilled individuals who can't repair a watch.