• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, grsnovi said:

Thanks for the intro @matthewlawson3, welcome to the WRT forum! I'm also relatively new and I'm in the middle of my first service of an Elgin Grade 313 movement.

How's the journey so far?

Hi, I just started learning how to take apart watch movements and now I'm trying to put back together a Seagull equivalent to the ETA 6497. 

I have had a difficult time with putting the wheel train back in place. I thought I had it working and so I put on the wheel train bridge and added in the mainspring barrel and then the barrel bridge and then attempted to turn the center wheel and it won't move now. I took the barrel bridge back off and the barrel removed and still won't move. 

@matthewlawson3it sounds like maybe your pivots on your train were not properly aligned? Did you install the escapement? Does the train not turn because the pallet fork is engaged with the escapement wheel?

Are your wheels in the correct sequence with each upper/lower wheel properly engaged? 

10 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

@matthewlawson3it sounds like maybe your pivots on your train were not properly aligned? Did you install the escapement? Does the train not turn because the pallet fork is engaged with the escapement wheel?

Are your wheels in the correct sequence with each upper/lower wheel properly engaged? 

I'm thinking maybe the pivots were not aligned properly. I tried to look through the train bridge and see if I could see the top of the pivots and thought I did, but maybe I was seeing things. Escape wheel is installed along with center, third, and fourth wheels. No balance wheel or pallet fork installed yet.

I think the train wheels are in proper sequence with each other, but I will post a picture of it in a day or two and let you all confirm. Does the third wheel in my movement go below the 4th and Center Wheel?

Edited by matthewlawson3