gaspurge747

gaspurge

Just brought this pocket watch off ebay noticed the screw for adjustment either fell out or is broken make is mineva 17 jewels can this part  be sourced and is it a easy fix to do for a novice or is it best to go to a professional.ps i know in picture it shows screwCC2152C5-BB3C-427E-9129-9177764D6A1B.thumb.png.6117a65f564e55b4f096b49b4cde147d.png

2ECE4E4B-D2AF-455E-95D6-861B23A80F84.png

B778B4B5-3D1F-47E0-A560-AA08D5317246.png

6D83BD4E-B262-47CF-96C4-F03557BBA2E9.png

If you're talking about the screw that has holes through the head and presses on the regulator, and it has gone missing, first give the watch a good shake over a large table back open movement side down. It's probably in there. In the pic it looks like the regulator is at the end of its spring tension, so it may have wiggled out in transit.

You might find a replacement in a donor watch, doubtful you'll find one at a supplier or screw assortments. In my boxes of 10s of thousands of screws I haven't seen one. I have made them though, and it's definitely trained watchmaker territory (whether amateur or pro). It's a long screw, fine thread, small diameter, and putting the holes in well is a challenge too!

19 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

Which adjustment are we talking about?

Rate regulation. Most watch owners don't know the difference either. Also, it would help if in the future posts the OP title is about issue at hand.

19 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

In my boxes of 10s of thousands of screws I haven't seen one.

You can show us the boxes if you want. Just not the rest of the lab please, there is a limit to what an average hobbyist can take.

19 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

I have made them though, and it's definitely trained watchmaker territory (whether amateur or pro).

Another item on my list. I like to make screws and related jokes.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jdm said:

Rate regulation. Most watch owners don't know the difference either. Also, it would help if the OP could title with something related to the issue in the future.

The reason I asked was that?

10 hours ago, gaspurge said:

screw for adjustment either fell out or is broken

The missing screw seems to still be in the picture that's what was puzzling me? Sizing and maybe there are some other adjustment that I wasn't aware of that is missing?

regulations screw not broken.JPG

You have several options here one you can just remove the entire micro swan neck regulator part. Then you have a standard regulating arm like any other watch and you can still regulate your watch.

I can't tell if your screw is long enough if you could remove the broken part of the screw which can be a pain at times last one I did was rusted inside needed soaking in penetrating oil.  If you get the broken part off you can see if your screw has enough threading they might still be able to regulate. Otherwise you look on eBay people are selling these I doubt the Swan Part is going to fit as I doubt there is any form of standardization but if you're lucky maybe the screw will work.