Seth Thomas electric clock--very interesting!!

LittleWatchShop

On to my next clock project!!!  Before opening this up, I figured it to be a boring motor replacement with a cleaning job.  Nope.  I think this will be interesting...at least because of the novelty.

May be time for a little brain teaser, no??

Looking at the pictures, you see two round things protruding above the plates.  They are made of copper.  What are they for?  Put your thinking cap on.

OK after you figure that out...anybody ever work on one of these?  There are a couple of enclosed mainsprings, so that is something I will have to explore (to open or not to open) when I get it apart.

2022-02-05 14_19_46-20220205_140820.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2022-02-05 14_19_30-20220205_140829.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2022-02-05 14_19_17-20220205_140850.jpg ‎- Photos.png

2022-02-05 14_19_00-20220205_140904.jpg ‎- Photos.png

• Like 1

Are the copper disks some kind of eletro-magnetic brake or speed regulator. Are those blocks next to them magnets or electomagnets? They appear to control the chimes somehow.

They remind me somewhat of a mechanical electricity meter, but on a much smaller scale.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

It was late last night when I posted.

I have had a look on google and it looks like this type was around in the 30's and as late as 1947.

AndyHull, you could be right as they both take place of the normal fly governors which are in chimes and strikes.  

On 2/5/2022 at 10:19 PM, AndyHull said:

Are the copper disks some kind of eletro-magnetic brake or speed regulator. Are those blocks next to them magnets or electomagnets? They appear to control the chimes somehow.

They remind me somewhat of a mechanical electricity meter, but on a much smaller scale.

Andy, you win the prize that is exactly what they are for.  Those blocks are magnets.  When a conductor passes through a magnetic field, a current is induced which in turn creates a magnetic field.  The fields are opposing so that resistance is placed on the spinning disk.  Take a neodymium magnet and drop it down a copper pipe.  It defies gravity!! Falls slowly.  Same concept.

I noticed that one of the chimes was going too fast.  I suspect that the permanent magnet had weakened.  I just put another small neodymium disk magnet on the plate...problem solved.

Edited by LittleWatchShop
  • Like 1