Attempting to set up a lathe

Hello folks!

I received this anonymous WW style lathe a few years ago, and I'm just now getting it into working order for some watchmaking-adjacent projects.

I've run into two problems: first, with the headstock and second with the pulley set.

I have heard it's good to clean the headstock, so I have removed the dust cover rings on the rear outside, plus removed the pulley set screw and loosened the two interior knurled rings (you can see in the photo that the left interior ring is completely free of its seat, whereas the right side is not). Even without the set screw, the pulley is still firmly attached to the shaft. Light tapping does not move it and I don't want to risk damage. Is there another place I should check for fasteners or other disassembly steps, or should I continue gentle percussive force? I have noted that others require tapping to remove the spindle, but I don't want to go whacking things at the wrong time.

As for the external pulley transmission, the problem is with the lower crossbar. It looks like you should be able to loosen the handle, move the bar to select your pulley, then tighten it. It does indeed do that, but one half of the bar is very tight even with the clamping screw completely removed, and the other half is so loose that the clamp doesn't work (even after I really crank on it hard). Is this a case of equipment failure or user error?

Thanks all!

-John

PXL_20220122_201101858.jpg

PXL_20220122_202913953.jpg

13 minutes ago, JSmodels said:

Hello folks!

I received this anonymous WW style lathe a few years ago, and I'm just now getting it into working order for some watchmaking-adjacent projects.

I've run into two problems: first, with the headstock and second with the pulley set.

I have heard it's good to clean the headstock, so I have removed the dust cover rings on the rear outside, plus removed the pulley set screw and loosened the two interior knurled rings (you can see in the photo that the left interior ring is completely free of its seat, whereas the right side is not). Even without the set screw, the pulley is still firmly attached to the shaft. Light tapping does not move it and I don't want to risk damage. Is there another place I should check for fasteners or other disassembly steps, or should I continue gentle percussive force? I have noted that others require tapping to remove the spindle, but I don't want to go whacking things at the wrong time.

As for the external pulley transmission, the problem is with the lower crossbar. It looks like you should be able to loosen the handle, move the bar to select your pulley, then tighten it. It does indeed do that, but one half of the bar is very tight even with the clamping screw completely removed, and the other half is so loose that the clamp doesn't work (even after I really crank on it hard). Is this a case of equipment failure or user error?

Thanks all!

-John

PXL_20220122_201101858.jpg

PXL_20220122_202913953.jpg

Look up my videos on YouTube. I have a ton and some on lathe work JD Richard

8 minutes ago, jdrichard said:

Look up my videos on YouTube. I have a ton and some on lathe work JD Richard

I'll second that advice for any other folks, you've really got a good range of information there! 😉 

I actually used your method of making belts with fishing line, to avoid snapping the connection on the plastic ones or experiencing excessive vibration with other methods. Mind you my belts were rather too large, but that's a minor detail 😬

• Like 1