Pocket watch frozen bezel--several failed attempts so far

I cannot get a grip on the bezel to break it loose.  I have poured penetrating oil in the slot a number of times over a few days.  No luck.

I 3D printed a ring to glue on to the bezel so that I would have something to grip with a tool without damaging the bezel  No luck so far.

Thought about heat, but it would possible damage the dial further, but the dial is a wreck so maybe who cares??

Thought about immersing the entire thing in penetrating oil.

This is a tough one.

Any ideas appreciated.

2022-01-12 12_51_56-20220111_191353.jpg ‎- Photos.png

16 minutes ago, jdm said:

Loose how, are trying to unscrew or lift it? It could be either type.

Excellent observation.  It appears to have threads, so I am going for the unscrew route.  I have very carefully done a little prying to get a sense of how it is bonded.  Maybe I should do more of that to see if by prying, I can break some bonds.

One of my classmate's father was also a watchmaker. Classmate told me someone came in with a stopped Rolex. Dad looked at the guy and was 100% sure it was fake and pried the back off to change the battery (this was the 80s when fakes didn't have screw backs)..... it was real! I asked how the hell his dad managed to pry off a Rolex screw back, he just said with some distant fear in his eyes, "you haven't met my dad..". Luckily back then it was doable to get a new back, expensive but doable.

My classmate had been a boilermaker in shipyards before going to watchmaking school, and if there was ever anyone I've known who could crush a golf ball like Oddjob it was him. I know it's impossible but he would have come close!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

One of my classmate's father was also a watchmaker. Classmate told me someone came in with a stopped Rolex. Dad looked at the guy and was 100% sure it was fake and pried the back off to change the battery (this was the 80s when fakes didn't have screw backs)..... it was real! I asked how the hell his dad managed to pry off a Rolex screw back, he just said with some distant fear in his eyes, "you haven't met my dad..". Luckily back then it was doable to get a new back, expensive but doable.

My classmate had been a boilermaker in shipyards before going to watchmaking school, and if there was ever anyone I've known who could crush a golf ball like Oddjob it was him. I know it's impossible but he would have come close!

That is pretty funny.  My Dad always said, "If it doesn't move, don't force it."  My first boss out of college said (when we were trying to pry open an environmental chamber), "Fine...but my Dad said, if it doesn't move, get a bigger hammer."