Timex Electric (Mod.67) with juddering second-hand

Does anyone have an idea what is causing the second-hand to move so erratically?

I searched around the forum, and the only tip which I think might be relevant is from @JerseyMo re contact cleaner, here: 

Thanks also to @dadistic for the document upload in the same thread.

Edited by Klassiker
Link

I just had a 2nd. go at linking to your earlier post: https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topic/5791-timex-forum/#comment-67040 where you suggested contact cleaner as the cure for many ills.

The post prior to yours, by dadistic, links to a site with the service manuals, so thanks to him.

I already got half way with the disassembly, but bottled out before removing the gear train. Nothing looked gummed up, in fact everything was surprisingly clean, but no signs of oil either. I only went inside to clean up the battery contacts and the insulating disc, as these were a little contaminated. There was no corrosion anywhere else. Once I'd done that and couldn't see any obvious faults I put it back together and tried a new battery with the result shown in the video.

You think a proper clean and lubrication could cure the stuttering?

It's been about 2 years since I last touched a Timex Electric. I vaguely remember having a problem like this.

I think mine was due to a demagnetized indexing magnet. There is a small magnet on the main plate that pulls that thing that looks like a pallet fork so that it has some snap action like a conventional pallet fork. I think someone ran your movement through a demagnetizer.

I tried to remagngetize it by rubbing the strongest neodymium magnet I had on it. It helped a little but the watch still stops unexpectedly. 

Moral of the story... don't demagnetize a Timex Electric. 

• Thanks 1