hello everyone, happy new year

I have been a watch user for 45 years, never really fell for the whole I have a cell phone don't need a watch thing.  Sure I have my cell with me 90% of the time but I like to have a watch to be able to quickly check without pulling that darn phone out and more than once I have my cell's battery to zero on camping trips.

During the pandemic getting into the history and mechanics of watches.  I had a few timex, casio, and Gshocks in the past that died mostly from broken crystals ( I was not kind to my watches) and my day to day was a Citizen from the late 80s until an unfortunate incident with my Jeep, a hi-lift jack, and gravity resulting in that watch being crushed.  I replaced it with a Luminox diver in 2010.  since then I bought a few watches my collection as of today:

• Luminox 4220 diver
  • Casio Dw5610
  • Seiko SARB033
  • Seiko SRPD71
  • Seiko SRBG39
  • Hemel Airwing (ST1901 based chrono)
  • Bulova Lunar Pilot 50th Anniversary LE, my Christmas gift to myself for 2020
  • dead Seiko SRPD71, missing hands and does not run the prior owner was trying to mod and lost the hands and buggered up the hairspring/balance and it won't start, case is scratched to heck.  this is the watch I am starting with to learn watch repair/mods if I can get it running.  It was only $10 so easily written off. may just replace the movement we will see.

My professional background is computer network admin and software engineer.  As far as hobbies go I am into astronomy/astrophotography and precision rifle shooting and reloading.  All of which have taught me that tiny adjustments can make a big difference in the results. 

looking into that broken watch made me realize just how bad my eyes are and how unsteady my hands can be.  So first on my list of must haves I will be looking for something better than my $10 magnifying visor before I do anything more than simple mods or regulation type work. 

Welcome to the forum.

I have a friend that is an ex-SAS sniper. Does all his own reloading etc as well. He doesn't like to talk about his time in there though as everyone he served with has either gone in battle or has taken their own life. He is the only one left out of those he served with. Just a really nice guy.