UV light

Hi Blacksmiths Locksmiths Clock and Watchmakers,

could you please give me an advice as what UV light to buy to cure my Sternkreutz UV glue? Tried to google it, but cant say that i got a clear picture. I have a UV light I used to use for making electronic circuits in the past - to cure the stuff I sprayed on the board, it was called positive 20 as far as I remember - but it does not seem to do the job.

Best regards,

Lui

Edited by luiazazrambo

I remember Positiv 20. Real stinky stuff. I used to use backlight UV tubes for that and it takes forever to get a good exposure.

Then I discovered 500W floodlamps. Those were awesome. I could get a good exposure in a couple of minutes.

I too have Sternkreuz UV glue and bought 3 different LED UV lights for curing it. 2 of them don't work at all. The 3rd one is a 405nm LED light. But even that seems to give a rather weak cure. The glue doesn't seem to set very well. The best way I found was to leave it in the sun for 30 minutes. 

I hope other members can give you better advice.

• Like 1

UV lamps lose intensity with use, I'm sure the one you had for photoresist would be fine but is maybe too old.

We use a lamp for curing UV nail polish. Looks like the toaster oven my grandad had. Works great. If you search for lamps for nails I'm sure you'll find one.

• Like 1

UV nail polish lamp the only thing i thought that could work I just could not go for it. 😄

Strenkreutz recommends Osram Ultra Vitalux, rtfm. 🙂 I could not figure out what frequency range it does.

https://www.osram.com/ecat/ULTRA-VITALUX UV-A-UV-A-Ultraviolet lamps-Industry-Specialty Lighting/com/en/GPS01_1028569/ZMP_60829/

Positive 20 wants light between 340 and 420 nm.

5 hours ago, luiazazrambo said:

Hi Blacksmiths Locksmiths Clock and Watchmakers,

could you please give me an advice as what UV light to buy to cure my Sternkreutz UV glue? Tried to google it, but cant say that i got a clear picture. I have a UV light I used to use for making electronic circuits in the past - to cure the stuff I sprayed on the board, it was called positive 20 as far as I remember - but it does not seem to do the job.

Best regards,

Lui

I have used this little torch for 'Bondic' curing adhesive but it takes a while to cure. 

The osram ultra vitalux emits the UV light on the 365nm and 400nm the best. The tubes what are for sale as replacement tubes for nail curing lamps seem to operate with 365nm waves. We also can buy power UV LEDs for the whole UV range.

This is a good text to read: 

https://www.permabond.com/resource-center/factors-affecting-uvcure/ 

7 hours ago, luiazazrambo said:

The osram ultra vitalux emits the UV light on the 365nm and 400nm the best. The tubes what are for sale as replacement tubes for nail curing lamps seem to operate with 365nm waves. We also can buy power UV LEDs for the whole UV range.

This is a good text to read: 

https://www.permabond.com/resource-center/factors-affecting-uvcure/ 

Yeah there are better UV-A LEDs out there, but at what cost? 

I a while back i bought a crazy bright UV-A source to rebuild my 1st gen anycubic photon with. Allegedly allows layer curing in under 2 seconds. But it was something like $70.