Calibrating an old micrometer

bojan1990

Hello

I got myself this old metric micrometer but I guess it has to be calibrated properly. The problem is, if I rotate the handle hard enough, it will show more that 0. Everything is very stiff so I couldn't do anything with screws and didn't want to jump straigth to WD40 or something that would loosen the screws a little bit. Any idea how to make it work properly?

Here are the photos: https://imgur.com/a/iyzTqAr

Thanks.

Edited by bojan1990

27 minutes ago, bojan1990 said:

I got myself this old metric micrometer but I guess it has to be calibrated properly.

Calibration is done with the test bar that should follow the mic all the time, these are cheap to buy anyway.

The problem is, if I rotate the handle hard enough, it will show more that 0.

Never clamp hard, there should be a knurled ring which produduce the right torque for repeatable measurements.

Everything is very stiff so I couldn't do anything with screws and didn't want to jump straigth to WD40

Why not, it won't do damage and could save you from taking it apart.

Here are the photos: https://imgur.com/a/iyzTqAr

No need for hosting pics,  please post these directly.

If it's anything like the old Moore & Wright Micrometers then once cleaned to calibrate all you do is gently screw down until the gap is closed and you feel it stop, don't screw down hard then the inner sleeve with the mm scale on it is rotated with a small C spanner so it aligns with the scale on the rotating handle.

If it's the same with your one there will be a small hole around the back for the C spanner. If not then I don't know as I have not seen one like yours before.

Paul