This purchase arrived in the post yesterday. I bought it because it looked interesting, the seller suggested it was for fitting jewels in pocket watches but I have my doubts.

There are a load of markings around some of the holes in different positions. One of the markings is Venus 10 1/2 so that suggests to me it's been used on a wristwatch.

Anyone know what this tool should be used for? It's really well made and seems to have had a lot of use.

The maker is ABM (?) and there's a "DEPOSE 72847+" which could be a patent mark? The punch/pusher is spring loaded and can be positioned above any one of the 7 holes. The holes all have collet shaped bottoms and the same outer diameter but the inner dimensions vary slightly (inner hole diameter and depth from the top plate).

IMG_20211026_180155.thumb.jpg.d7bf0cc0d637553de0906e347bc96e15.jpg

Edited by Plato
Spelling and already used title
  • Like 1

• Plato changed the title to Mystery tool (2)

I wonder if it's for working on balance wheels with roller tables attached. The slots radial to the central hole in each position look  as though they might be to accomodate an impulse jewel. It wouldn't be for removing tiny amounts of material from screwless balance rims to poise them I suppose? Although you would normally do that on the under side of the wheel so that it wouldn't be visible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, praezis said:

The punch will mark the right position of the hairspring stud by a small dot on the balance wheel. Position of the balance is secured by the impulse jewel in the slot.

This tool is used for serial work only.

Frank 

Serial work? I might find it quite useful.