Hi from London uk

Silon

Hi,

My name is Si, from London. I've only just discovered an interest for horology, which was spawned quite by accident, and a touch of frustration, when I tried to get a battery replaced but the shop wanted £140. 

The bottom line is that I didn't have the money but wanted the battery changed. How hard can it be after all? (I thought).

Well, after struggling to get the back off, then breaking the movement ring before slipping with some tweezers attempting to get the battery out which resulted in damaging the coil (I think that's what it's called?) The £140 seemed quite reasonable. 

That little experience stimulated an interest in Watch repair as I was angry with my carelessness and general lack of knowledge which damaged a perfectly good watch. 

Little did I know how complicated the whole subject would become; Horology is like Witchcraft ha ha. I still haven't got the first idea how the experts dismantle, service and then rebuild movements. It's such an incredible skill and must be very satisfying. 

So, my journey starts here. I've recently bought a broken watch but there's no markings on the movement, so I don't have a clue how to identify it. All very frustrating. 

Thanks for reading my introduction and rant. Look forward to picking your brains. 

Thanks once again. 

• 1 month later...