Opening Omega DSOTM ceramic case

Recently I acquired an Omega Speedmaster blue side of the moon watch.  I would like to adjust the timing a little, and eventually do a COA but have some trepidation about the Zirconium oxide case. Since they are brittle I know that care will be needed to open it.  There are no slots for opening tools, just a slight recess in the back cover at the 9:00 position. Probably it is pressure fit with an o-ring.  That’s what it appears from the only cross-section picture I can find.  Thinking that maybe a Delrin tool tip or something similar would be needed.  Does anyone have any prior knowledge or experience with these cases?

A8173066-3277-482C-BCB9-AFE4D6F94AA1.thumb.jpeg.bf8cc299e5eba2443e1ae9e87549e40f.jpeg

C884706F-F9AE-4257-893D-3E20BAEE715C.thumb.jpeg.71443b37dc700a60071698886c7ca8fa.jpeg

3A97306F-0AE1-43B6-AFB9-324DED3654B6.thumb.jpeg.518d4b414ab07a63138223c17a3ea83c.jpeg

Here is a picture of a watch which was dropped and broke.  Not mine, thankfully.  First, it’s obvious that the case has brittle properties.  But it appears there is an o-ring holding the case back on.

DF7ABEE7-9A1A-4D60-B5B9-38C05D773410.jpeg.ae64c87685a23f2ac865e71e933aebc0.jpeg

2 hours ago, OmegaMan said:

Recently I acquired an Omega Speedmaster blue side of the moon watch.  I would like to adjust the timing a little, and eventually do a COA but have some trepidation about the Zirconium oxide case.

Do you have a decent set of opening and closing tools? Have you regulated a watch before? Do you have a timegrapher?

If the answer to one or more of the a bo e questions is negative, I think it would not be a good idea to learn on such an expensive watch. Build a modicum of experience first and get the right tools.

just a slight recess in the back cover at the 9:00 position. Probably it is pressure fit with an o-ring.

Please excuse the nitpick. The "back cover "is normally called case back, which when "pressure fit" is called "snap back". Although some types don't really snap as they are tick with a flush, hard gasket. Which could be the case with your watch.

Thinking that maybe a Delrin tool tip or something similar would be needed.

I don't think a soft tool can open a tight case back, but some lever type tools are discussed in the topic below. The idea is to direct force in a precise and controlled manner to avoid scratches and worse.

@JohnR725 @jdm Yes it is the same, just the Sedna Gold version.  I have worked on thousands of watches and have all of the necessary equipment for repairs, jut not experience with this ceramic case back.

Also, regarding the picture of the broken case I found on the web, I don’t know if that watch is gen or rep.  I’m suspicious because there seems to be a large gap between the dial and date wheel and also there is a green gasket which doesn’t seem right for Omega.

Edited by OmegaMan
Additional details.

You'll need an Omega Co-Axial Micro-Star Regulating Key for Balance to adjust the timing...even if its only "a bit."  I thought that I could it with just a good pair of brass tweezers because I had lots of experience and good hands. One slip is all it took to kink the hairspring.

Edited by noirrac1j

8 minutes ago, noirrac1j said:

You'll need an Omega Co-Axial Micro-Star Regulating Key for Balance to adjust the timing...even if its only "a bit."  I thought that I could it with just a good pair of brass tweezers because I had lots of experience and good hands. One slip is all it took to kink the hairspring.

@noirrac1jYes, I have one.  Thank you.

Edited by OmegaMan

6 hours ago, OmegaMan said:

Yes it is the same, just the Sedna Gold version.

one of the reasons I wanted the picture the back and it's good that you're saying it's identical except the color is I needed the reference number. I will inquire with somebody I know who works for Swatch group and see what the answer is..

10 hours ago, OmegaMan said:

I would like to adjust the timing a little,

then I'm curious about the timing it's already rated as a chronometer certified whatever what's wrong with the timekeeping?

16 hours ago, JohnR725 said:

one of the reasons I wanted the picture the back and it's good that you're saying it's identical except the color is I needed the reference number. I will inquire with somebody I know who works for Swatch group and see what the answer is..

then I'm curious about the timing it's already rated as a chronometer certified whatever what's wrong with the timekeeping?

Nothing.  It is within tolerance. However I would like to make a small adjustment and in the future it will need maintenance.

got a reply back my friend pasted the answer below. then not coming from my friend just as a reminder in addition to everything you do could cause something to break you still have to push the back back on once it comes off and there's probably a special ring order rings for the case press

Found it in the tech sheet. It’s a snap on case back. Use a traditional knife to open but pry at 9 o’clock only. Any pressure application to the lugs could snap them off

Also lever against the caseback only and not the case cause that could also break

Also as an aside, here are closeups of the moon disk images from the Omega Blue Side of the Moon Sedna Gold:

38581BDA-BC78-441D-8376-09E0D0F873C4.thumb.jpeg.bb104ccfcf6a6db5582d412bc7950dcb.jpeg

E12C5CD0-5A52-4C4C-9452-C2515C4B7180.thumb.jpeg.d821a6c154095b22545f393dd015fc0d.jpeg

It’s supposed to be the near and far sides, but I think it’s hard to tell which is which.

Edited by OmegaMan
Added detail
  • Like 2