Zodiac crown loose

Hi all, i have this Zodiac and the crown is loose, it is free spinning on the tube, i thought i could put some superglue on it but then realised it needs to be sprung to allow for pushing down to connect with the case tube thread, any ideas or is it a case of finding a new crown.

thanks in advance tony

IMG_E5951.JPG

1 minute ago, quantieme said:

it needs to be sprung to allow for pushing down to connect with the case tube thread, any ideas or is it a case of finding a new crown.

Yes you need to fit a screw type crown. Unfortunately finding one that fits the existing thread may prove to be difficult so also the pendant tube has to be replaced. Not an easy job without the proper tools. 

16 hours ago, jdm said:

Yes you need to fit a screw type crown. Unfortunately finding one that fits the existing thread may prove to be difficult so also the pendant tube has to be replaced. Not an easy job without the proper tools. 

thank you, i have the tools but the problem is going to be finding another vintage signed crown.

1 minute ago, quantieme said:

i have the tools but the problem is going to be finding another vintage signed crown.

That for a perfect restoration. But I think that a working and functional watch brings more joy than one sitting in a drawer waiting for a repair that might not even happen. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jdm said:

That for a perfect restoration. But I think that a working and functional watch brings more joy than one sitting in a drawer waiting for a repair that might not even happen. 

i could not agree with you more, the trouble is it is a customers watch and he wants it perfect, i told him from the start that it would probably need a new crown, i just put the question on here on the off chance there might be a fix.

31 minutes ago, quantieme said:

the trouble is it is a customers watch and he wants it perfect. 

I would try to explain that  one can be good but not do magically make original parts appear for a 50 (?) yrs old watch. A working, watertight repair would be a great result already, then the owner can spend his own time searching and waiting for perfection. 

52 minutes ago, jdm said:

I would try to explain that  one can be good but not do magically make original parts appear for a 50 (?) yrs old watch. A working, watertight repair would be a great result already, then the owner can spend his own time searching and waiting for perfection. 

some people have unrealistic expectations of what one can actually do against what is actually achievable.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 5:40 PM, quantieme said:

Hi all, i have this Zodiac and the crown is loose, it is free spinning on the tube, i thought i could put some superglue on it but then realised it needs to be sprung to allow for pushing down to connect with the case tube thread, any ideas or is it a case of finding a new crown.

thanks in advance tony

IMG_E5951.JPG

Think that is the same crown as cousinsuk have. Used them a lot on different divers. Sure the zodiac logo isn't there but the crown will be waterproof and function properly. Check cousinsuk and part C6041 or C9042  Maybe you need to change the tube also . But it usually works fine. 

Edited by rogart63

31 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

Sure the zodiac logo isn't there 

I was in contact with a Briton that engraved original Seiko crowns to appease collectors, but last time he didn't replied anymore. Maybe the OP can find him or others that do the same.