My Kingdom for a crown!

I am looking for a waterproof Tap 10 (0.9mm), tube ID: 1.6mm, OD: 2mm, crown OD ~ 5.5mm

Looked at Ofrei, Cousins, JulesBorel and a few other.  JulesBorel is a bit hard to navigate so I may have missed some.

It seems that the larger the crown, the larger the tube ID.  The crown is for a typical Divers watch (seems typical enough).

The crown that I have is passable, but at least needs a new oring.  I have done some o-ring search with no success.  Maybe lousy search terms.

Is this really an oddball crown?

2021-06-23 11_08_05-Photos.png

9 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

The crown that I have is passable, but at least needs a new oring.  I have done some o-ring search with no success.  Maybe lousy search terms.

I have more crown o-rings from 2 assortments that one could use in 10,000 years. Check them out.

9 minutes ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Is this really an oddball crown?

I don't think so, I have a a couple of Chinese assortment that if not exact, get very close.

• Like 1

The first thing that stood out is your tap size reference. Not everything is equal in the watch world.

I accept that a lot of folk use the system tap 9 = 1.00mm, tap 10 = 0.90mm etc. You mention Cousins however I believe they use a different (sone would say more logical) system of tap 9 = 0.90mm, tap 10 = 1.00mm etc.

Obviously do your own diligence but it could be something like item C51798 meets your needs.

• Like 1

LWS, your crown appears to be missing its inner metal washer which retains the gasket. 

That looks like a quality case, so I would aim to get a Swiss crown. 

Cousins sell “single o-ring” and “double o-ring” divers crowns. If they do not suit then let me know and I can get you a suitable crown from my collection - I have thousands. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WatchMaker said:

The first thing that stood out is your tap size reference. Not everything is equal in the watch world.

I accept that a lot of folk use the system tap 9 = 1.00mm, tap 10 = 0.90mm etc. You mention Cousins however I believe they use a different (sone would say more logical) system of tap 9 = 0.90mm, tap 10 = 1.00mm etc.

Obviously do your own diligence but it could be something like item C51798 meets your needs.

This issue has confused me and I think I posted a question about it somewhere on this forum.  The basis for the tap number is this tool which I have.  My Dad left it to me but never explained it...LOL.  Well, being aware that there might be some confusion, I posted the tap number and the outside thread diameter (barking dog...wagging tail...which end do you believe?).  I looked at the number you gave and it does look like it will work assuming the 2mm number allows for a 2mm tube outside diameter.  Cheap enough that I should go ahead and buy a few of different sizes including that one.

2021-06-23 17_23_59-Photos.png

That tool is a die plate and is very handy for cutting new threads and also modifying them. 

It’s easier in my opinion to just put the stem between two jaws of a vernier caliper. If it’s indeterminate then I use a Bradux thread gauge. 

17 minutes ago, rodabod said:

That tool is a die plate and is very handy for cutting new threads and also modifying them. 

It’s easier in my opinion to just put the stem between two jaws of a vernier caliper. If it’s indeterminate then I use a Bradux thread gauge. 

So much to learn and so little time!  My ignorance abounds.  I think I sorted this out though.  I thought the 2mm dimension stated with crowns was the inside diameter of the tube.  Evidently, I am wrong.  Thus, I need a 2mm x 5.5mm crown (no1 1.6mm) and they have them at Ofrei.  I am buying it and will see how it goes.