bulova precisionist crown and stem repair

Hello all

Like in title, I would like some advice on how to do this myself any help or link to videos on this type of watch would be very apreciated

Here is the best picture I could take, stem seems to have snap flush in crown

Is this fixable

21991289_IMG_20210531_1755402671.thumb.jpg.ce5ec8a3d90d0d3ee9e58c7682e38e12.jpgsorry for nasty pics this is was my sports watch so it got alot of abuse, the watch is still working, but obviously is useless if I cannot change time and date.

thx in advance

Nick1673683058_IMG_20210531_171554619_MP1.thumb.jpg.0346ed9aa3b3c31a8a86e584a13df174.jpg1673683058_IMG_20210531_171554619_MP1.thumb.jpg.0346ed9aa3b3c31a8a86e584a13df174.jpg

6 hours ago, nickb2 said:

stem seems to have snap flush in crown

The only sure way to remove the stem is using a watchmaker lathe or other specialized device to cut around a tiny section of the female threading in order to grab the stem. Reasonably this can only be done by a watchmaker. 

If you could locate on the Internet a suitable crown the job would be easier, but being this a screwed in crown it will need to be specific to your watch unless also the pendant tube is replaced, something that pushes the issue well back into professional territory.

Also after many years a mechanical watch need to be serviced to prevent damage to friction parts, so in the end my advice is to give it to a reputable watchmaker. 

Ok thx

I would then like to know, is the watch worthwhile. It is after all a 500cdn watch.

If I have to spend 500 on it, I will then probably end up buying another one. Again thx for response.

I thought I could just buy a new stem and crown and do it myself. But I cannot for the life of me find a link to those parts.

As I wrote before, I am an automotive tech, so I know the value of sentiment versus pragmatical. 

Just for anecdotal purposes, I did have the crown replaced about 2 or 3ish yrs ago after going to a fair with my GF. We were in a zipper ride, watch hit metal cage. Next morning, I had to change date, that was when I noticed the crown flew off in the ride.

I took it to a watch pro here in quebec. It took a yr to get it back. I think it was 200ish cdn to get repaired. The watch repair pro said the part slash crown was hard to find. But he did eventually find one.

so not knocking bulova or the repair pro, and I must say, for the price, it has been a very solid watch.

So my next logical question is, what would you guys recommend as a similar watch in about same price range.

again thx for any advice

Nick

45 minutes ago, nickb2 said:

I would then like to know, is the watch worthwhile. It is after all a 500cdn watch.

I am not an expert on the specific segment, but likely a bit less even in working conditions. 

If I have to spend 500 on it, I will then probably end up buying another one.

Absolutely right, that is the same conundrum many owners are. Good watchmakers are few and expensive, etc. etc. 

I thought I could just buy a new stem and crown and do it myself. But I cannot for the life of me find a link to those parts.

You never known, you may find it in the due time or even manage to remove the stem stump. The stem itself is easy to get. If bored by all that sell it describing the problem. 

So my next logical question is, what would you guys recommend as a similar watch in about same price range.

You can't go wrong with a Seiko SKX007, Sumo, New Turtle, or the like. 

thx I will look into those.

9 minutes ago, jdm said:

If bored by all that sell it describing the problem. 

Yes, not a bad idea.

I looked into the seiko skx, looks promising. thx

I like it because the crown is more protected in that recess.

A quick search shows new crowns available for 20 to 30 USD, but no stems up to now. If you can find a stem, it is an easy repair. I agree with jdm that a full service is in order, which will cost you in the region of what you paid last time.

4 hours ago, Klassiker said:

A quick search shows new crowns available for 20 to 30 USD, but no stems up to now. If you can find a stem, it is an easy repair. I agree with jdm that a full service is in order, which will cost you in the region of what you paid last time.

I have checked better. The dial doesn't say but the watch uses a P102  High Accuracy quartz module by Citizen, which is the brand owner, and as such is typically kept in total lack of servicing. Some info at the link below. The existing stem could be still used by using of an extension.

https://calibercorner.com/bulova-caliber-p102/

• Like 1

Is this a quartz or selfwinder watch?  I think the crown material is not steel.

Drop this crown in a rich alum-‌water solution, in a day or two alum disolves some of the stem, rinse and remove bits in the crown hole with a needle, repeat to disolve more of this stainless steel stem. Alum should not affect the crown no discoloration either.

You need to remove the back plate to get to the remainder of the stem, show us a close up of the movement.

You are highly likely to get by with just a stem extender & an O ring rubber washer.

16 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Is this a quartz or selfwinder watch?  I think the crown material is not steel.

As mentioned above,  it's a quartz diver. These use stainless steel, also because the crown is threaded. e.g. https://www.esslinger.com/stainless-steel-divers-waterproof-watch-crown-refills/

Drop this crown in a rich alum-‌water solution, in a day or two alum disolves some of the steel

The OP can  try and let us know. What you haven't mentioned is that the alum solution need to be kept warm to be effective.

still perusing the net

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/inside-a-precisionist.2570858/#lg=thread-2570858&slide=5

I am still trying to learn, as it is my nature to do so.

I am still having hard time finding stems for the p102 however most of research comes to this Stem 065-212 

Crown with bulova logo is almost impossible for me to find, I am still new to this sort of research. My experience is mostly related to automotive parts but I am sure I will find one shortly thx to all your detailed responses.

still perusing the net

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/inside-a-precisionist.2570858/#lg=thread-2570858&slide=5

I am still trying to learn, as it is my nature to do so.

I am still having hard time finding stems for the p102 however most of research comes to this Stem 065-212 

Crown with bulova logo is almost impossible for me to find, I am still new to this sort of research. My experience is mostly related to automotive parts but I am sure I will find one shortly thx to all your detailed responses.

this links seem to be right part number, but I would have to open watch and remove the stem to confirm visually. But the hex part that screws into the crowm seems about right.

https://www.startimesupply.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_code=065-212

Since the movement is a high precision, but most likely in need of a service, I wouldn't discard or give up that easy. If you like to pursue watch repair, sometimes it is best to let the watch rest till you either gained more experience or stumble over the parts. In time, often a solution will present itself ......

CousinsUK seems to have some Bulova crowns, not sure if yours is among them; https://www.cousinsuk.com/category/bulova-crowns-by-size

Edited by Endeavor

however I may have to close this thread as the link here shows a threaded pass through on watch body which I believe serves to lock the crown

This part is either sheard off or missing.

I will upload a picture, but evidently, it is not like in the pic of following link.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/inside-a-precisionist.2570858/#lg=thread-2570858&slide=6

1 hour ago, nickb2 said:

the link here shows a threaded pass through on watch body which I believe serves to lock the crown

That is the pendant tube. As I had mentioned earlier it can be replaced together with a new screw type crown. An alternative is to give up on the screw lock and fit a regular waterproof crown. Not a difficult job if you have the correct parts and tools. 

5 hours ago, jdm said:

An alternative is to give up on the screw lock and fit a regular waterproof crown. Not a difficult job if you have the correct parts and tools. 

That sounds awesome

5 hours ago, Endeavor said:

If you let go of the crown Bulova emblem, perhaps other possibilities do open up?

this also sound good as I dont care, I just want the dang thing to change time and date, so both these options seem good to me, I like the watch, it has a big dial I can see when I am doing sports. But that lock think has given me trouble ever since I bought it.

Also thx for correctting me, I now know it called a pendant tube. Smiley face

I am a bit sentimental as it was my gf who found it for me. But now going fishing or other sports that may involve sweat or slight water is no go, I think it will just sweat up and then it is no good for ever.

Thx all

much appreciated.

I am still not sure if stem will still apply though, but hey, I like knew hobbies. I fix laptops, I water cool my pc  when I can, I also tinker with tv pcb boards as well as automotive ones. So I am used to this, just not on this small scale.

Anyway, a new hobby keeps me sane and keeps the gf away sometimes if you get drift.

I had wanted a bulova like this because I liked the hand sweep. I was different.

My girl said she saw one in a local pawn shop. So I bought it.

But I dont trust the watch anymore

Anyway, long story short, I am willing to dime it myself and use it as a learning curve if that makes sense.

1 hour ago, nickb2 said:

That sounds awesome

If you want to try a regular crown with the case missing the outer section or the entire pendant tube, it should have a long pipe type with a O ring.  Moving the crown in and out must be guided otherwise it wobbles and breaks. Yes, fixing watches is about being obsessive with details.