Hello, I'm new to the forum!

Hello,

I'm new to the forum and looling forward to learning from the experience of the experts here! 

I'm a (primarily) vintage Seiko collector and I'm now at the stage where I want to get stuck into servicing, nothing too difficult to start with.

I found the forum when looking for details on the L&R Varimatic and I was impressed with the information on hand!

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• That black stuff - I had similar things happen with evaporust!  In that case I understand the evaporust eats the iron oxide away without hurting the metal but it can leave behind a layer of carbon which was in the steel that got oxidised. I spent ages trying to perfect a cleaning regime with various different stages in jars in an ultrasonic bath. In the end I switched to washing all but the balance and pallet fork in IPA and gently brushing it with a small artists brush.  I would estimate that I have found an extra 20º of amplitude doing this! It also takes me no longer than waiting hanging over a tank to move stuff to the next jar If it is really bad then I have used the IPA as a prewash and go through my old routine
    • I thought is FHF. Sounds good to make winding stem by myself but I am not in watchmaking on this level. 😄
    • At a friend's request, I've obtained a key for her long case clock which has been silent for some years. On winding it, the weight only rises a foot or so from the floor - & is not visible above the lower panelled section - before the key meets significant resistance. However it then runs quite happily for a day or so by which time the weight is again on the floor. I haven't had the chance to examine the movement but would be grateful for suggestions as to what might be happening here.
    • Despite having to change up your magnification and get your head into the super micro mech zone, I admit I'm not adverse to buying women's watches. You can finish up working on some good high end movements for a fraction of the price of men's. They also finish off that little black dress number and heels look on Saturday night outs. I would laugh but i have had some very odd Saturday nights out , ok go on then I'll laugh, i just made that up....ahem...😅