Crystal Install Options?

My daughter brought home a classmate's automatic Timex (M32 movement, made in Philipines, no jewels) to have the crystal replaced.  As you can see, someone really enjoyed using glue or had vast amounts they needed to use up ;)!  Anyhow, I used my crystal lift to remove the old one and being that it was in two pieces, it came out very easily.

My questions is, being that the crystal is not round, do I risk damaging the new one if I use the crystal lift?  Should I use my case press instead?

I am actually still assessing the entire watch to see exactly what needs to be done (obviously needs a deep clean and oiling).  The crystal is available but I am still looking into the crystal gasket.  This is the first automatic I have had the chance to work on and it seems that the rotor is also loose and was rubbing on the bottom of the movement (common on these Timex watches).  I'll have to deal with that if we proceed with the repair.  Despite all this, it is currently running. 

post-38-0-23110100-1392955845_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-22103000-1392955866_thumb.jpg

Thoughts?

Cheers!

Roger

• Like 1

What a classy gluing job :D

I would not advise using a crystal lift unless you have the shaped glass adapter for it.

I think Hypo tube cement is appropriate here and the glass should just push in with your thumbs - disclaimer: it's been years since I worked on a timex

I've said it before and I'll say it again,  "Timex,  takes a lickin and keeps on tickin".  Considering the watch has no value, unless sentimental,  then unless it is for your own interest,  it is probably not worth the time and trouble of repairing.  I always found Timex difficult to work on as there are no seperate plates for balance, train wheels, mainspring etc.  everything is held between two plates.  Timex are almost bullet proof and will survive years of brutal treatment but I don't think they were ever designed to be repaired.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Like 1

@64americandeluxe .. I have the same Watch and mine has needed to be repaired and I don't want to open the movement for a Wheel..but I keep the Watch in her juice. :).. And as autowind said, it's hard to repair a timex because everything is held between two plates ( sandwich ) I already done a job on a Timex and....no succes..When I buy an old timex, I just cleanup the tips of each Wheel on both sides and around the wheels with a toothpick and blow the dust and dirt and re-oil but just some tiny drops..

• 4 weeks later...

After many hours, I was able to bring this Timex back to its former glory.  Apart from the cracked crystal and broken crystal gasket, which allowed copious amounts of dust in, I also found the bearings in the winding pinions (it's an automatic) to be very worn out (see pics below).  

As well, the snap ring which holds the movement in the case was partially dislodged causing the rotor to rub against the movement. Despite this, it was working when it was brought to me!  I was able to find a good used watch online, albeit a different color case, dial and hands, but it was in much better mechanical condition.  I cleaned and oiled the movement and reinstalled the original hands, dial, case and bracelet. 

I am quite happy with the results given I am new to this hobby.  While I enjoyed wokring on it, I did find it stressful given that it was not mine and held a lot of sentimental value to my daughter's friend.  Until next time...

Cheers!

Roger

post-38-0-28369100-1395528036_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-31491000-1395528235_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-55778500-1395528504_thumb.jpg

post-38-0-64765700-1395528618_thumb.jpg

Edited by 64americandeluxe

I followed the Timex instructions and only removed the balance (I didn't seperate the two halves of the movement).  Being a newbie and knowing how finicky these can be to put together, I thought it best not to tempt fate.  After all, it was a working movement I purchased that was keeping correct time.  

Thank you!  The original dial was very dusty, but in otherwise good condition (one minute in the ultrasonic took care of it).  There was a little bit of glue residue on the dial but I didn't want to make things worse so I left it alone.

Cheers!

Roger

Well done sir, the end result looks excellent!

Regarding ultrasonic cleaning of dials. You have been very lucky that you didn't damage the dial. When I first got my ultrasonic cleaner I tried cleaning a couple of old dials that were in my junk tray. The result in both occasions was a disaster, not only did it remove the dirt, it also partially removed the finish on the dial. If you are going to clean a dial, I suggest using a couple of spots of washing up liquid in half a cup of warm water and gently wash the dial using a cotton bud. Then rinse in clean water the blow dry.