Stem rusted to clutch--best way forward

This is another Vulcain Cricket I picked up.  The clutch it rusted and bound to the stem.

I have been soaking it in WD-40 for 24 hours.  No luck.  Have pushed, pulled, tapped with a screwdriver--does not budge.

I am willing to sacrifice the clutch.  I want the stem intact, however.  The plate along with all of the other parts removed are donor parts.  But, I do not know how I would be able to cut the clutch without damaging the stem.

The gold crown is necessary for the Vulcain I am rebuilding where I have a good crown and stem, but the crown is white and as far as I can tell, the stem and crown are a unit and thus inseparable.  If anyone knows otherwise, please tell.

Any other chemicals I can use to soak?  I have, in the past, received lots of ideas here about removing a rusty screw using things like alum, coke, etc. This situation is a little different.

111.jpg

222.jpg

21 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

In your first picture, I can see the stem end sticking out so punch the stem out by punching on the stem end. Soaking in Cocacola for 30hrs helps.

Good luck pal.

I have applied considerable pressure from several directions--afraid to apply any more for fear of breaking, but I will try the coke idea!

There are a bunch of commercial rust removers and they all use some kind of acidic ingredient to convert the rust ( Fe2O3 not to confuse with Fe3O4 which actually protects the steel, bluening) .
A while ago I stumbled up on this tips and tricks from WD40 whom too had a bunch of solutions. https://wd40.co.uk/tips-and-tricks/how-to-remove-rust/
Citric, Oxalic acid and the nasty phosphoric acid are common ingredients in the commercial products too. Guess the acidity is why coca cola might work in the long run too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleWatchShop said:

I have applied considerable pressure from several directions--afraid to apply any more for fear of breaking, but I will try the coke idea!

Pressure wont work, impact will, punching delivers impact to the stem.

Its like trying to drive a nail into wood by standing on the nail top, you are apllying presuuure? wont do much good, whereas a hammer delivers impact, doesn't have to be strong, many small impacts works like your impact wrench, here you tap on the stem with the punch, many taps.

Regs

Joe

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HSL said:

There are a bunch of commercial rust removers and they all use some kind of acidic ingredient to convert the rust ( Fe2O3 not to confuse with Fe3O4 which actually protects the steel, bluening) .
A while ago I stumbled up on this tips and tricks from WD40 whom too had a bunch of solutions. https://wd40.co.uk/tips-and-tricks/how-to-remove-rust/
Citric, Oxalic acid and the nasty phosphoric acid are common ingredients in the commercial products too. Guess the acidity is why coca cola might work in the long run too.

Yes, its the phosparic acid in coke and wont hurt the base metal either. Citric acid will.

Regs 

Joe

I'm getting so old now so I just buy those commercial rust removers and save the coke to my Rom&Coke. They aren't that big of an investment and last for years. ? 
I use this one, probably available elsewhere than Sweden too.
https://pro-tec-shop.eu/aerosoler/mos2-rust-remover/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2qfVrcXE8AIVS0eRBR1DFAx3EAQYASABEgI_FPD_BwE

48kr is about 5$.

32 minutes ago, Nucejoe said:

Pressure wont work, impact will, punching delivers impact to the stem.

Sure, I get that.  I tried this by putting the screwdriver blade into the clutch slot and tapping it with a hammer.  It is tough to get a good angle.  I will use a staking tool and see if I can punch from the pin side of the stem.

OK, @Nucejoewins the day.  After his encouragement, I decided to try pounding away again.  However this time, I held everything in place and had my wife swinging the hammer.  It worked.  It was scary.

Here is the watch.  The pusher is from the donor and SS instead of gold.  I still have to solve that.

333.jpg

On 5/12/2021 at 7:22 AM, LittleWatchShop said:

as far as I can tell, the stem and crown are a unit and thus inseparable

They are one piece.  It is confirmed.

There is a good reason, too.  In one direction the crown winds the timing spring while in the other it winds the alarm spring.