AS 1199 Hair Spring Removal

nlapietr

Good day.  I am working an AS 1199 and screwed up the hair spring.  I would like to try and fix it (but probably just make it worse....).  There is no release screw on the balance cock for the hairspring stud.  Is it pressed in and if so is there any way to remove it with out damaging the balance cock and or hair spring, and then re-using the same hair spring?   

The movement I am working is unique as it only has one jewl that I can see.  All other 1199s seem to have more.  Just a curiousity, but as such I expect it isn't worh the price of a new balance complete....

AS 1199 balance assembly.jpg

Yes you can push it out as it is pressure fitted. I tried to find you a post I read earlier, someone made a tool for it as far as I remember -it looked like a little vice, but I failed to find it now. How to correctly push it out? Maybe somebody could give you some hint with more experience. My method is: get it out somehow ? I would place the edge of that HS stud on a block and would try to push it out with something, probably with something from a staking set or anything really, a used pair of tweezers, or a filed screwdriver, toothpick etc.

• Thanks 1

Personally I would check how the hairspring is attached to the end stud. If pinned then remove the pin to release the hairspring. Removing the stud is not easy without causing other issues. Looking at the hairspring it is highly unlikely that this will have a successful outcome but always worth trying.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, clockboy said:

Personally I would check how the hairspring is attached to the end stud. If pinned then remove the pin to release the hairspring. Removing the stud is not easy without causing other issues. Looking at the hairspring it is highly unlikely that this will have a successful outcome but always worth trying.

They are pinned, just remove the pin.

You will increase your chances of success if you remove the whole coil and collet off of the balance, lay on a white flat sheet of paper, see what you got.

The spring doesn't look original.

I believe EB1197 balance complete is interchangable with this.

• Thanks 1

I was wrong I just imagined the tool in my head, here is the post I talked about:

Before you try to correct the HS watch Marc's videos as how to correct hairsprings. There are at least two videos about it. And watch this too: 

I am struggling with hairsprings, but I managed to correct 2 of them so far! ? You have a better chance if they are bigger and stronger.

• Like 2