Tissot 794

I have refurbished and old Tissot PR516 that has a Tissot 794 movement in it. the crystal is pretty scratched up. I guesss I could polish it but i was wanting to get a new one. I dont know anything about crystals and this one is kind of different with gold tick marks on it. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to find one like this

.post-786-0-83428000-1427580636_thumb.jpg

This is the crystal

post-786-0-33180600-1427580730_thumb.jpg

This is the 794. Runs great. I just need to polish the hands and put some new luminous stuff on them and it will be done.

post-786-0-12673300-1427580837_thumb.jpg

This is the case I just got back from being plated.

Thanks for your help.

Put the crystal back on the case, mask off the metal parts of the case and use the finest grade sandpaper to get rid of the scratches.. then use autosol (metal polish) on it until the crystal is like new.

When using the polish.. dont keep using the same spot of your polishing cloth..move to a new spot with fresh polish often.

Anil

I've used auto rubbing compound on 1500 - 2000 grit sandpaper with water sprinkled on it for getting good sanding results .  I use a figure 8 motion like I've used to polish fiber-optic glass . I finish off with diamond paste w/oil  and my dremel's polishing wheels . I picked up the diamond paste on the bay ....it comes in plastic syringes from 5 micron to 0.5 microns and gives pretty darn good results . I've used it on glass and acrylics .

Hi scott,

are you sure it is not a chapter ring that can be detached from the crystal? As it is, it looks like you might have to "custom" order one!

Cheers,

Bob

That's what it looks like to me too . Does the crystal have a metal tension ring or no ?  If the chapter ring comes out you could order a generic AM crystal by using a vernier micrometer and taking measurements of the crystal OD and the case dia . 

But having said that , Your crystal doesn't seem to have any cracks and minor only scratches so it should polish out like new . Keep any sandpaper wet and don't put flat spots on the edge . I would take the crystal out of the case again to do this . I use a polishing wheel on my drill and use rouge or polishing compound [ toothpaste will work in a pinch ] , use a light touch and be patient . 

I think you will be pleased with the results .

Wow!! That's pretty close. I will do some measuring when I get back home and see if that will work. Thanks for the help.

• 6 years later...