Epic Watchmakers Estate Being Ready For Sale...

I found this Blog while searching for tools. The link takes you to the blog home page for the latest post, but do scroll to the top and click on the links for Dennis E Harmon Estate and the Repository!

Looking at the pictures of his workshop, I imagine this is what heaven looks like!

http://mechanicalcurios.com/

I believe from reading this blog that most everything is for sale! I will be making a trip up to see this history in Horology in person!

Don

You mentioned the magic name "George Daniels" ,  I find it amazingly clever that people can take apart and then put back together a watch.  To design, make all the parts by hand yourself and then assemble them into a working watch is to me a miracle.

Looks like there are lots of interesting things for sale.

RogerC

I will be making a trip up to see this history in Horology in person!

Don

You lucky so and so! :)

Out of interest (topic of George Daniels) have you seen Roger Smith's site (George Daniel's protege). He has some vids on YT as well. He has made some beautiful pieces.

You lucky so and so! :)

Out of interest (topic of George Daniels) have you seen Roger Smith's site (George Daniel's protege). He has some vids on YT as well. He has made some beautiful pieces.

Oh YES! I follow Roger Smith as well! To me, George Daniels and now Roger Smith is the pinnacle of True Watchmaking! I used to lust after watches like Patek Phillipe's Star-Moon Tourbillon. But to be honest, I feel that these types of watches, though outright amazing feats of technology, do not have the "Soul" of the watches that are now produced by Roger Smith.

BTW, if you have not seen the website, there is a fellow who is building tourbillon by following George Daniels Book on Watchmaking The site is listed here:

http://watchmaking.weebly.com/

Although, after visiting the site, one wonders if this fellow is doing it just to do it, or does this process have some significant meaning...it's hard to get that feel when looking at his site, as wonderful as it is! It's kind of like, "if you have enough money, you can reproduce anything you want!" type of thing!

Don

• Like 1

Yes - I have seen that site and am most impressed. I have the Watchmaking book which is almost like a watchmaking bible, it's so fascinating.

It's kind of like, "if you have enough money, you can reproduce anything you want!" type of thing!

And "if you have enough time". I'm too busy trying to make a living lol.

Oh YES! I follow Roger Smith as well! To me, George Daniels and now Roger Smith is the pinnacle of True Watchmaking! I used to lust after watches like Patek Phillipe's Star-Moon Tourbillon. But to be honest, I feel that these types of watches, though outright amazing feats of technology, do not have the "Soul" of the watches that are now produced by Roger Smith.

BTW, if you have not seen the website, there is a fellow who is building tourbillon by following George Daniels Book on Watchmaking The site is listed here:

http://watchmaking.weebly.com/

Although, after visiting the site, one wonders if this fellow is doing it just to do it, or does this process have some significant meaning...it's hard to get that feel when looking at his site, as wonderful as it is! It's kind of like, "if you have enough money, you can reproduce anything you want!" type of thing!

Don

Don, I too am a fan of Roger Smith and also feel he represents the true soul of watchmaking as the late great George Daniels did, that's not to say I do not love the likes of Patek, I do but the feeling is a different one.

I did not really understand this until getting the Fusee last week. Now looking at it and the way it is finished I can completely understand Rogers and George's ethos.

I am lucky to own a few lovely watches but I have to say none have stirred my soul as much as this Fusee. I think it's in part the integrity of design, part history and part three dimensionality of the movement that allows you to step inside so to speak the watch makers world and travel through how he thinks out and the design and turns it into three dimensional reality. Looking at RWS and GD's watches I see that same ancient way of doing things, not because it is a nod to history but more so that it is simply the right way to go about it.

I would love one day to own a Roger Smith or Daniels watch ( Roger has stated he fully intends past this limited edition of Daniels watches he was working on with the master before he passed to continue the Daniels name in another regular production watch) but in the meantime I am fortunate to get a taste of them with my Fusee!

Edited by ianmedium