Mainspring winder

Willow

2 hours ago, LittleWatchShop said:

Another shiny object!  LOL.  I could not resist pondering a 3D printed solution for some of the parts.  I don't have the plans...just taking a SWAG at what I see on the youtube videos.  Here is one of the slides.  The mate for the slide is a trivial design and print as well.  I just quickly laid out this piece.

2021-01-30 09_33_14-FreeCAD 0.18.png

I would think a 3D printing system would be a perfect platform to make this and other repair tooling. I've worked with them on occasion and find them super fascinating.  

3 minutes ago, MechanicMike said:

I would think a 3D printing system would be a perfect platform to make this and other repair tooling. I've worked with them on occasion and find them super fascinating.  

It is one of the most utilitarian tools I have other than a screwdriver.  I have repaired many things around the house by printing replacement parts.  I have also created many tools and add-ons to other tools.  There is a huge repository of designs that others have done on the internet.  I love to make my own stuff--do the 3D design but when I find someone has made what I need, I download and print!!  Below I show a picture of a 3D printed fully functional escapement that built three or so years ago.  It is a wonderful demonstration of how the escapement works.

2021-01-30 11_53_38-Photos.png

• Like 1

I own a Ollie Baker mainspring winder and also a home made one made out of wood and a converted mainspring winder. Both work great the issue to be aware of wood changes in shape as it ages and changes as it takes up or looses moisture so it looses its original smoothness in operation. The issue with the Ollie Baker is you are required to hold the barrel with one hand while winding with your other hand. I got around this by making a various sized wood clamps to hold the barrels see pic below for both my hand made winder + the Ollie. I know my hand made winder looks crude but be assured it works and is better and safer than trying to wind springs by hand. 

7FF3E5F6-6FF7-4EC5-9395-A4B9BB798C5C.thumb.jpeg.02b8197d0d4a66823d5779d5dc8329f8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi  I like the way that you have modded the spring winder, I also used the let down tools as fit the spring arbour properly. As for looking crude the fact is it works and it overcomes the problem of holding springs by hand.  The wood if and when it becomes less effective can be replaced cheaply and effectivly.  I used mahogany for the clamp its good and hard. A Great idea, engineers answer to a problem based on what you have available. I for one think its brill.  It May inspire others to do something similar.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  I like the way that you have modded the spring winder, I also used the let down tools as fit the spring arbour properly. As for looking crude the fact is it works and it overcomes the problem of holding springs by hand.  The wood if and when it becomes less effective can be replaced cheaply and effectivly.  I used mahogany for the clamp its good and hard. A Great idea, engineers answer to a problem based on what you have available. I for one think its brill.  It May inspire others to do something similar.

Thanks yes it works but it is not the best engineering for sure. The clamping system I use is really good when dealing with either small or large mainspring barrels. The key to working with mainsprings is having control.

• Like 1