Vintage sea king rotor problem

Question

I bought a vintage bulova sea king automatic at a antique mall for 80 dollars and I discovered the reason for its lower cost. It appears that it was someone's project watch that they sold. It has a 11 Anacd movement and the rotor is stuck. It can move but it grinds against the metal underneath it. The middle portion of the rotor(with the engraving) is loose and moves independently of the rest of the rotor. I have no clue how to remove the rotor as there are no screws on it. Is this a deeper problem than just the rotor or can I fix/ replace the rotor?

16078837700761131736071287292733.jpg

1607883797016123036838487283653.jpg

16078838134235333238580752867256.jpg

2 answers to this question

Update: I removed the movement from the case and the plastic retaining ring snapped as it was very brittle. The movement holder was keeping the rotor from turning freely. The rotor is two parts and each are press fitted together. I put the watch back together and the rotor now spins freely. It does worry me that the rotor may fall apart again so is there a good way to keep the two parts together?

2 hours ago, Amateurwatchbreaker said:

The rotor is two parts and each are press fitted together.

One of the problems of watch repair is that even though watches all looked similar there also different. So for instance two parts impressed together means I have to try to use my imagination because you didn't give us a picture which would've been helpful. So I'm assuming you're talking about the center part of the weight pressed into the way to itself?

Then I don't suppose you have a timing machine?

Then as I suspect it will be helpful I've attached information

Now that we have a tech sheet the work with let's start over? The automatic weight is held in place with a gib which is held in by a small screw removing that the automatic weight should come off as one piece. I making the wild guess you pushed it together in the watch and yes it will fall apart again.

One of the things I was looking for in the PDF on the parts list is not there? Some watch companies like Omega assumed that the automatic weight might wear out and had replacement components. But according to the PDF the axle has been welded to the plate and that would have to be replaced if that wore out the entire unit. Then it looks like the weed itself is considered one piece. So my guess is the pinion That looks like in your photograph is probably steel Reese the top part is came undone from the Weight and that is not a separate component. Which means ideally you should replace the whole thing. Or taken apart and see if we can friction fit it tighter together I'm assuming it was friction fit perhaps taken apart and use a small model Loctite.

Then I have a link to the parts list which should agree with the PDF but usually does not sometimes there's more parts available or potentially had more parts than the PDFs will show. Like for instance the axle which we know is welded to the plate and not available separate does show up as a separate part on the parts list below which of course you can't get. I was kinda hoping that the automatic weight came into pieces but it does not so if you replace it it's one component unless you can push them together and they stay together.

Then the reason I asked about the timing machine was that the stud holder and regulator don't look like they're in the right place except? The second link is a picture of your watch and it looks like they're in the same place. A lot of times if people were in the watch which typically the knot in wristwatch because usually it's too hard to get the back off if they do get in the watch they do like to move the regulator around.

http://cgi.julesborel.com/cgi-bin/matcgi2?ref=BUL_11ANACD

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Bulova_11ANACD

Bulova 11ANAC, D, B.pdf

Edited by JohnR725

• Similar Content

• By PaulnKC
      Greetings All,
      Hope that all are doing well - in this crazy COVID world.
      I recently acquired a 1958 Rolex Ref. 6569 with a Cal. 1030 movement. All-in-all very nice and clean for her age - and runs very well.
      The winding pinion and clutch wheel had worn each other out - so I found NOS Rolex parts and replaced those. I though the watch deserved the new parts.
      It appeared to have been serviced in the last 10 years - because everything looked clean and the oil looked good (and present).
      Since the watch seemed to be running well and in good health (other than the winding pinion and clutch wheel) - I didn't do a complete service. I didn't think it was worth the risk.
      However, it seems to me that the watch is harder to wind than I would expect.
      I did do a full service on a 1215 that I bought for my wife (ref. 6694). It needed everything - but an awesome running movement when I was finished.
      The 1215 is of course a manual wind - but similar to the 1030. The 1215 winds lightly and smoothly as one would expect.
      The 1030 is "stiff". I haven't taken the barrel apart - but have just ordered some new mainsprings.
      Is there anything tricky about replacing the auto mainspring in a 1030? Or is more or less like any modern auto?
      Clean the barrel; apply braking grease to wall; fit spring; fit arbor - oil lightly at spring-arbor interface; replace lid?

Also - I was only able to find a parts-list for this movement. Anyone know where a tech/service sheet (or similar) may be found?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
      -Paul
    • By MechanicMike
      Ok, I need the WRT detectives out there and their help. I've searched and as far as I can tell this symbol or trademark belongs to the Chicago Watch Co. 1895-1903 and made by Elgin. The movement came in an old but intact tin stamped "Elgin Watch Co. I looked up the serial # on PWD.com under 'Chicago' and that's what came up. But, there are a few pics of others and mine looks nothing like any of them nor has this trademark. Anyone recognize this trademark? It's a size 18s with no case. Aaaand I just noticed I didn't provide the serial number. I'll post it here in a bit. Thanks Mike

• By Nicola00
      Hi, a few days ago i bought a preziosa skin diver, the movement is ok, but there isn't the bezel, where i can find a bezel as in the photos, or a bezel that is compatible?

• By BrianJW
      Does anyone have any more info on this watch movement?  It's a small women's movement. Measures 21.5mm in diameter. Hour/minutes only. It's not an escapement I've seen in a watch before. The only marks I can find are the AS and 40(?). No name on dial either. Thanks! 

• By Max50916
      So I've just finished servicing a Bulova 23 jewel self winding watch from 1961. I'm trying to find a replacement crystal but it doesn't seem that I can use a conventional round hi dome crystal. I tried fitting a 30mm hi dome crystal in which seemed to fit nicely but won't hold the bezel in place. 
      There is a mirrored ring inside the case to hold the movement in place. Is this what a reflector ring is? 
      I found this (see photos) in the GS catalog and THINK it's the correct crystal (PA 462-17) but since it's expensive and I've never dealt with a crystal like this before I was hoping to get some advice/correction if needed. Thank you anyone who can help!

(I included pics of the old crystal for reference)