New member Bob H.

Bobbo

Hello All,

I joined you all a few weeks ago. I'm have been a big fan of Horology since I was a child, I'm Now 61. 

I have a varied collection of watches From cheep Chinese Quartz & Autos to High end Swiss Auto Mechanical. I have recently taken to tinkering with the older Swiss mechanical (50s to 70s) movements that are advertised as Parts or Repairable. I enjoy getting these has been movements going again. I've had some success! eg FHF st96.  Recently Purchased a ladies watch with a AS 970 Swiss Movement.(not working).

Stripped it down cleaned it all in ultrasonic & started to rebuild.. almost completed .. Started to install the Balance wheel... But Problem? Its rocking in the Jewel set. I cannot see Why? I'm not sure if the pivots (Pins) on the Balance Wheel are worn there appears to be too much play & rocking. Having not seen this movement before.. I'm not sure what the BW pins should look like? The Jewels appear to be fine.

Has anybody got an idea? and is it possible to get a spare?

Best Regards All,

Bob H.

Welcome to the forum.

Two possibilities.

1- Balance is out of flat and wobbles

2- Balance pivot should stay inside the jewel hole, if it slides out, 

a- Pivot might be broken

b- Jewel might be broken

c- Pivot is worn too short or the cock is raised, thereby has increased the distance between upper and lower jewels, which lets the pivot slide out.

Diagnoses,  Gently raise one side of balance rim with an oiler or a piece of paper while you keep an eye on staff pivot(from side view) to see if it satys where the jewel hole is, or not.

You may take balance complete out and inspect its pivots under good magnifiction.

Hi       http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&AS_970    this link will take you to The site Ranfft with pictures and specifications of you watch, un able as yet to locate a tech sheet as regards parts  try cousins uk, or Jules Borel and Esslingers , timesavers in the States. Meanwhile I will have a look round.