Help removing movement from case

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to remove a valjoux 7750 from a Maurice Lacroix MP 6348 and I believe it is accessed from the front of the watch.

The crown and stem are removed and the two retaining screws are out, the dial and movement rotate freely but the movement won't release.

One of the sub dial hands has come away so I'm trying to take the hand out to avoid dial damage.

Does anyone have experience with this or these watches? I know there are bezel removal tools from bergeon etc but wasn't sure if those worked on stationary bezels.

Thanks to anyone that has some insight.

IMG_20200828_091931.jpg

IMG_20200828_091956.jpg

So far as I know this is the type of bezel remover you need to use for that style bezel. I bought one of these to help remove rotating dive bezels (on the advice of someone) and my experience is it is poorly suited to that task, but I think it would be perfect for what you're trying to do.

I've never needed to remove a friction bezel and these pictures are from the Internet.

bezelRemover.jpg.b9d44a4586c10deb627b55c32ff29abe.jpg

removeFrictionBezel.jpg.0e8e0ca3c702835a6ec338cd197885e9.jpg

48 minutes ago, vinn3 said:

have you removed the bezel?  put the stem back in until the bezel is off,   if it did not go in,  you have a "dial off situation".  good luck.  vin

Haven't removed the bezel yet. The keyless works needs rebuilding as the stem won't go back in

2 minutes ago, BrianB said:

So far as I know this is the type of bezel remover you need to use for that style bezel. I bought one of these to help remove rotating dive bezels (on the advice of someone) and my experience is it is poorly suited to that task, but I think it would be perfect for what you're trying to do.

I've never needed to remove a friction bezel and these pictures are from the Internet.

bezelRemover.jpg.b9d44a4586c10deb627b55c32ff29abe.jpg

removeFrictionBezel.jpg.0e8e0ca3c702835a6ec338cd197885e9.jpg

This is the tool I thought it would need, will try and get hold of one, thank you.

Hi  The device BrianB pictured will work well enough on a stationary dial as well as the rotary version, C case knife under the bezel lip and twist will bring it off. Hold the watch in a cloth and be careful not to mark the case side. There is sometimes a small notch for the knife so have a good look round the case sides.

3 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi  The device BrianB pictured will work well enough on a stationary dial as well as the rotary version, C case knife under the bezel lip and twist will bring it off. Hold the watch in a cloth and be careful not to mark the case side. There is sometimes a small notch for the knife so have a good look round the case sides.

I've had a look through a loupe and can't see any notches. I can't work out if the bezel removes from the lip or below that where there appears to be a seam

31 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Just tried with a case knife with a fair amount of force and there was zero give at all!

Removing bezels can be problematic if you encounter a tight one. I do own the tool suggested but it can be too brutal and if not careful ( From bitter experience) it can distort the bezel. I use a vintage butter knife. It is sharp enough to get under the bezel but being flexible you can feel the tension being applied.

However the movement should be removable without removing the bezel. Looking at the pics I would say it is a friction fitted case back

27 minutes ago, clockboy said:

Removing bezels can be problematic if you encounter a tight one. I do own the tool suggested but it can be too brutal and if not careful ( From bitter experience) it can distort the bezel. I use a vintage butter knife. It is sharp enough to get under the bezel but being flexible you can feel the tension being applied.

However the movement should be removable without removing the bezel. Looking at the pics I would say it is a friction fitted case back

The case back is screw down, I've removed this, taken the stem out and undone the two screws that hold the movement to movement ring. The movement ring doesn't budge, it's part of the actual case, I didn't think the movement and dial could come out if the movement ring is fixed?

Ok agree looking at the pics it does not have a traditional bezel. However the movement and dial should come out unless the dial has a lip. If so then the surrounding bezel will have to be removed, Cristal removed then the movement will come out from the front. 

10 hours ago, watchweasol said:

Hi   Just a thought  the bezel could be screwed on, try using a sticky ball to unscrew it.

You're an absolute genius! Never would I have thought it would be a screw down bezel. Put it upside down in a movement holder that grabbed exactly where the bezel inverts and viola! Thank you so much

• Like 1

That’s how the original Oyster case worked.  Those “flashy” knurled bezels, they continue to use, used to fit a tool to unscrew the bezel just like the case back. 

This is the first I’ve heard of it outside Rolex. 

I think Panerai continued that case assembly method after Rolex stopped using it. No idea if the modern ones still do. I believe they were using Rolex pocket watch movements as well. 

Ive never handled a Panerai, so I can’t say more about dealing with them.