Question

10 answers to this question

38 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

There is a possibility that its to do with the balance and poise of the pallet, as well as being decorative.

Poise is correct :)
We can find many similar shaped pallets from that era, also called "moustache" pallet.

But soon they found that the so increased inertia is much worse than some imbalance and these moustaches disappeared.

Frank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Praezis.  That had me a bit stumped.  I have an 1888 Hampden, size 6s, and I was really sure I would have noticed a crescent-shaped projection like that on the lever.  But I got to second guessing and was ready to go peek.  This is what I love about this forum: odds are pretty good that someone on here knows something obscure that I don't, and which I may take forever to find on the internet. So, "Mustache" levers sound like they were a bit of a flash-in-the-pan as it were.

Edited by KarlvonKoln
Typo
  • Like 1
5 hours ago, watchweasol said:

There is a possibility that its to do with the balance and poise of the pallet, as well as being decorative.

when I opened it up, I thought it looked cool.

4 hours ago, praezis said:

Poise is correct :)
We can find many similar shaped pallets from that era, also called "moustache" pallet.

But soon they found that the so increased inertia is much worse than some imbalance and these moustaches disappeared.

Frank

moustache pallet. huh. I like that! 

2 hours ago, KarlvonKoln said:

Thank you Praezis.  That had me a bit stumped.  I have an 1888 Hampden, size 6s, and I was really sure I would have noticed a crescent-shaped projection like that on the lever.  But I got to second guessing and was ready to go peek.  This is what I love about this forum: odds are pretty good that someone on here knows something obscure that I don't, and which I may take forever to find on the internet. So, "Mustache" levers sound like they were a bit of a flash-in-the-pan as it were.

first one I've ever seen in my short time doing this. only other one was in a book somewhere and I'm still searching for it. it is pretty cool though but I can tell you, it makes for an adventure in re-assembly and timing. it bumps into and catches EVERYTHING! 

• Haha 1

I just checked my own Hampden and, I was right, no mustache lever.  I'm rather glad it doesn't have one now.

As poise goes, I think I like the counterbalanced pseudo-English lever that my old Longines uses.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

I just checked my own Hampden and, I was right, no mustache lever.  I'm rather glad it doesn't have one now.

As poise goes, I think I like the counterbalanced pseudo-English lever that my old Longines uses.

agreed!

9 minutes ago, KarlvonKoln said:

the one with the moustache was a 16s BTW

• Like 1

• Similar Content

• By Amateurwatchbreaker
      Is this real? Thinking of bidding on it, but something seems off...

• By Rafael
      Hello,
      Anyone here have an experience with a similar vintage Omega and knows how to remove the movement from the case? Tried rotating the movement (slightly, i'm afraid i'll break something) but with no luck.
      Thanks!

• By grh215
      Hello everyone. I have a really sad story and I am a complete amateur. I am a machinist for a living so I thought I would give a crack at making a frankenwatch, however it did not go as planned and now I have a movement with subdials that don’t work and a whole lot of parts and money invested and I don’t know what to do. I need the help of a professional. The donor movement was a NOS, new old stock, and was running perfectly, however I messed up almost everything attempting to make this watch. I will happily ship all of the parts needed to complete this watch and pay for any repair that need to be made and for the return shipping. I need the help of a professional how can repair and assemble the watch with the parts and return it to me. I will pay for everything, the labor, replacement parts, return shipping, I just need someone’s help. 
      Details about the project: 
      movement: valjoux 7733
      dial: vintage NOS angelus chronograph dial
      case: custom machined case 
      crystal: plexiglass

• By RobRoy
      Hello forum, this is my first time posting.
      I found my great-grandfathers Timex maybe about a year ago, and to my dismay, it wound right up some 50 years later. From what I can tell, it looks to be a viscount model maybe pre-1960s? Possibly closest to a model 31 movement. My area of expertise is really limited to owning battery operated watches, so I'm hoping someone could help.
      I was using my hand to hit a wrench for my car and I didn't even notice I had my watch on. The movement stopped and from then on it's been acting funky, basically just stopping randomly throughout the day, but then restarting. When I take off the case and manually wind the rotor with my fingers, it will continue to run for quite some time, but once I try to wind it with the crown and stem or maybe even shake the watch it may only last a few moments.
      I hope someone may be able to help me diagnose some potential sources of this, since I would love to keep wearing my great-grandfathers watch. I've attached pictures too
    • By MechanicMike
      greetings all-been a few months since I've visited hope all is well with everyone. question: do any charts exist telling of American screw thread sizes for vintage pocket watches? I seem to be having a tough time finding anything other than the fact that back then prior to the 1955 "thread summit" I'll call it, where the European and American powers-that-be agreed on a universal standard thread pitch across the board(UNM miniature), that European was metric and American was their standard inch pitches, with the exception of Elgin and Waltham, who made their own specific(adding to my frustrating confusion) threads. I have threaded holes I need to repair and/or chase, and I'd just like to have it handy if I need it. maybe I haven't looked deep enough? 
      Bueller, anyone?