Worth Restoring ?

jnash

Hey Geo, thats a stunnner, i like the first sentence, man of my own heart.  i have the 7a28 model, im not a seiko guy but like i said it looks great.

Is there any way i can find out the age of my one as if its 84 like yours i will be even more happier (birth watch !)

Scrap that, just reread, I'll try and save the pusher clips but I can't put the back the plate in as its the dial, I'll try and clean that up with a fibre bush maybe . keep you posted. I'm assuming the pusher clips are too far gone and will need replacement but I'll try anyway.. Off to tesco!

Just used baking soda, it took the edge off, see below

be8c1dcce2b56ed95e843aa822162da5.jpg

Then I progressed to l&r rust remover which made a dent too :)

59028a2931fcdeac028d6bbcac086eaf.jpg

Not bad, going to polish up the pushers see if I can salvage, thanks for the help, now onto getting the movement to function correctly!

• Like 3

I'm also wondering if there is any equivalent movement to the 7a28? Being Seiko, I've found lots of their cases each accept a few of their movement offerings...

Hi Bob, the 7a28 is an absolute cracker of a movement with great history. It was the first analogue quartz chronograph, and is well worth restoring from a historic point of view. In my view it would be sacrilege to fit anything else into the case.

• Like 1

Will do, polishing up the pusher clips after the rust removal this morning and continuing with the clean and build. I need to replace the glass and the gasket for the bezel. Do you know what the numbers are for these or will generics do? Thanks

Thanks Geo and jnash. As a restorer myself, I agree wholeheartedly.

Still the curiosity persists and hope the question is valid considering some cases are more compatible than others. I've seen "non working samples" of beautiful watches (everything included except the movement) but the original movement is not in production anymore and not worth buying used (for restoration). if I want to still get the watch to work I may need to find an alternative.

Also, I'm trying to put together some sort of "database" for movement interchangeability. Again, just to feed my curiosity not just of this fact but of  how the industry approaches new designs, tooling, etc...

Sorry to hear that, its a right pain. As for the crystal, all the info you need is here: http://www.thewatchsite.com/21-japanese-watch-discussion-forum/35635-7a28-7039-crystal-replacement.html As for crystal gasket (nylon?) they are hens teeth on older Seikos, the part number is 86566600 and was used on 7A28-7030/ 703A/ 703B as well, try to use the one you have. If you do use a generic gasket you will probably have to use a slightly smaller crystal, as the generic gaskets are generally thicker. I have used a generic gasket on a 7002 diver with the slightly smaller 7S26 crystal and it fits well but its not been pressure tested.

Nice work so far, looking forward to seeing the finished item.

• Like 1

Thanks blacklab,

I think i can get away with the crystal gasket, so i need to get my hands on a replacement glass and the gasket that attaches the bezel to the case. had a look at the cousins site but bit confused with the seikos, is there anywhere else in the uk that will have the stuff if they dont?

Thanks

Jonathan

The bezel gasket (part number 8656.7680) are even rarer - can you post a pic we may be able to come up with an alternative. As for the crystal a 31.5x1.5mm flat round is supposed to fit and normally cost between £1-2. Try fleabay.