Question

Hi, so I recently got a seiko 5 snk809 and it was working fine, I then decided to regulate it as it was losing about 1 minute a day. After I regulated it it was working fine then stopped so I shook it to wind it up and then it started working. After 5 minutes it stopped again so I wound it up and it would work but then stop after a couple of minutes. I checked to see if the watch was being winded and it was, so the watch had power but just wouldn't move, I dont know why this is, the watch has power but will only run for a minute or two when I shake it, this hasn't happened before to this watch, so if anyone could help that would be great.

Thanks

3 answers to this question

• Solution
17 minutes ago, Krishan said:

, so if anyone could help that would be great.

A watch repair could help you, but the cost would exceed the value of the watch. If you particularly like it you can buy a brand new NH35 movement for less than USD 30 and have it replaced.

8 minutes ago, jdm said:

A watch repair could help you, but the cost would exceed the value of the watch. If you particularly like it you can buy a brand new NH35 movement for less than USD 30 and have it replaced.

Hi thank you I have thought about that, do you know the best place to get that movement? I dont think I will take it to anyone as the watxh isnt worth that much, I think I'll try to fix it and if I cant I'll buy a new movement.

Do you know the best place to get a movement?

Thanks

Krishan

29 minutes ago, Krishan said:

Do you know the best place to get a movement?

It may depend on where you live, which you didn't say. However both Cousins UK and AliX ship worldwide. 

Edited by jdm

• Similar Content

• By Rafael
      Hi, 
      Can someone please explain to me how on earth do i unwind this Seiko 5126A movement prior to reassembly? (Picture attached).
      No manual winding as far as I could find and the winding screw on top of the bridge is not counterturning automatically when I push back the click and basically nothing happens. I can unscrew it but this just releases the screw.
      I'll mention that I did experimented with this movement (it's my watch) and first time accidently removed the bridge with power still left. No visible harm was found and after reassembly (hopefully a proper one) everything seemed in order (except for the oiling and cleaning which I haven't yet performed and is due now).
      Thanks!
      Rafael

• By nlapietr
      Hello all.  I recently purchased what I though was a Seiko 5 project watch.  The case back says the movement is a Seiko 6309- 7200 movement.  However when I removed the works (and disassembled) it was not a 6309, at least I don't think it is.  FE 5612 is stamped on the movement plate and when I looked that up I found pictures of the exact movement on the Ranfft Watches site.  So I guess I have two questions.  First did Seiko use this movement on their watches and somebody perhaps changed case back, or did someone replace the Seiko works with the FE 5612.   Second, does anyone know of a location to find a service manual for the FE 5612 movement?  It does not seem to want to go back together nicely (do they ever?) and I am wondering if I have something misplaced as the only description I could find states: "Strange.  Train and Hand Gear separately driven by barrel (cf. MSR T43)."   I also need a stem and crown and don't have a part number.
      Thanks for any and all information.

• By CaptCalvin
      Today I show off what is probably the most accurate Seiko NH35 in existence.
      Let's see what this brand spankin' new Invicta does on the timegrapher:

Oof. Ya hate ta see it. I know these numbers aren't anything to cry over for an 80 dollar automatic, but considering how these days microbrands stick this movement in watches costing hundreds more, and Seiko themselves with the equivalent 4R in watches costing even more, it's just not great. The rate itself to me is a trivial matter as nudging on the regulator is a trivial task. But what speaks to the quality of a movement in my eyes is the consistency of that rate in different positions. With 12 seconds per day difference across positions, middling amplitude, and fluctuating rate while static, albeit slight, is all just a bit "meh" to me. 
      Let's crack it open and see what we can do.
      Hairspring seems to be pulling towards stud.

Hairspring removed from balance and mounted on cock and we can see the full extent of the malformity. That collet is a good ways off from the jewel.
      Few hours of sweat later:

Much better! Regulator now runs the full length of the terminal curve without disturbance and collet is centered on jewel.
      Let's check out what else I saw:

Some places are absolutely flooded.

While others just barely got any. A good thing I intervened. This thing needed to be redone top to bottom.

Stripped apart, ready to get rid of the crappy factory lube job, and get a real, proper lube job.
      All put together, lubed, and few rounds of dynamic poising later:

Massive boost in amplitude,  runs on rails and a measly 1 second difference across all positions. Wasn't lying when I said "probably the most accurate Seiko NH35 in existence." See for yourself.
      Isn't it at the moment a bit of a waste that this souped up NH35 is being trapped inside its Invicta skin? What do you think? 
    • By Deb
      I got this Longines winding watch from my mother-in-law many years ago.  She has since passed away, so I can't ask her if it ever worked for her.  I'm sure I asked at the time, but that was a long while ago, I don't recall her response.  The hands never budged from 12:00 (or whatever time you set it to).  I took it to a jeweler twice, and paid $60+ each time to figure out what was wrong, but neither of them could fix it.  I'm thinking that this one might be outside my scope (obviously...I'm a total novice at this and they were both professionals), but thought I'd go ahead & check with y'all and see what ideas you had that I might look for.  Perhaps they were trying to keep their time down to spare me their cost.  There is zero rush on this, I will probably keep picking it up and thinking about how to tackle it as I gain more experience repairing other watches.  It's fun!!!  

• By Swissmade
      I am after a clasp for an old digital junghans watch, I wasn't sure if this forum permits these requests?
      I did check the forum rules and it makes no mention of it only about selling.
      Can one of the more seasoned members help before I post the request?

Thanks