Need a balance staff for pocket watch

32 minutes ago, Daniel123 said:

Hi, sorry I think it’s roughly

A= 580

B= 300

J= 140

G= 69

K= 90

Called an assortment or a mess, I,ll dig in my bag of 2000 staffs, I just may find some to suit your balance wheel.

If not an exact match, you can get by with broaching for J and G while  K isn't as significant.

Making a staff is a last resort and expensive and whoever makes one should fit it onto the wheel and poise it as well.

I,ll start digging, be happy to gift wrap and send you some, fingers  crossed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Daniel123 said:

it’s clear in colour and look oval rather than round 

And so it as to be, in older times the ellipse (that's its other name too) shape was thought to be more efficient due to its larger contact and sliding area to the fork. 

• Like 1

Dose this seem right to you or about right.

The good news is I found out there are more than two thousand staff in these containers.

Bad new is, I seem to have lost my vernier.

IMG-20200609-WA0000.thumb.jpg.01a738911fa4b87d19f933c4c40d38f8.jpg

Edited by Nucejoe
no pic ha
  • Thanks 1

I don't suppose you have a picture of the dial side showing the setting parts?

Then the website below you can enter in dimensions see if anything matches or if anything's really close because then you can just modify it. Like very first one on the list Buren (BAA) Looked relatively close. Another place to look is the bestfit book Which also has a listing of balance staffs by size.

https://www.balancestaffs.com/product.php?dim_A=580

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi, here are some photos, I’m missing the dial unfortunately. I believe my great grandfather was in an accident in a mine and the watch got very damaged. I’m the first person to try and fix it in a hundred years :)

0ECEE3C2-0E65-4EAE-9FD0-1C4A69B54C5F.jpeg

7375B5A9-60B8-463B-B7C1-F25525A62DAE.jpeg

2 hours ago, Nucejoe said:

Question ;

How do you search for a stem on www.balancestaffs.com by dimention?

You can enter A and B then it says all, In what order should I enter other threes, J , G and K.

Correction, I meant staff.  The search function seem to provide searching by dimentions, but how.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi daniel.

Update,  I am measuring with a vernier, haven't found my old micrometer yet.

Closest size I have come up with so far,  shows   J=135   others dimensions seem to match.  

The question form machinest members is,  any chance of making J=135 fit 140, dose 5/100 mm diference matter that much? 

Will continue digging for a better candidate.

Regards