A little cry for help , 1 question from novice .

Hello, everyone

Please could someone help me with a basic question as I live on a remote Uk island with no watchmakers.

I am about to replace the ETA 955412 movement in my 1992Tagheuer 6000. (See picture)

I have removed the Tag stem from the old broken movement and before removing the (temporary stem ?) and inserting my tag stem into new ETA I wanted to ensure I have the stem in the correct position and if battery should be in.

I have read conflicting stem positions on line hence the question.

Thanks for reading any help would be appreciated.

Gary

1BAEFCE5-2941-4E7C-929C-726E82B31B83.jpeg

Hi Gary at all times unless testing the movement leave the battery out, whilst manipulating the stem into position .  It will be best to use the stem provided with the module. some of the modules require you to put the stem into set position before removing as this keeps the clutch assembly and associated gears in place to enable an easy fit of the stem. Failure to do so causes the clutch to drop requiring re alignment before the new stem can be fitted. To do that you need to remove the calendar work to gain access to the keyless work.  I have attached the tech sheet which covers this movement for you.        good luck

ETA 955.102, 955.112, 955.122, 955.132, 955.402, 955.412, 955.422, 955.432.pdf

• Thanks 1

Thank you for answering . Please excuse my ignorance on this subject 

Do mean it’s best to use the stem with the Plastic crown that came with the movement?

And please could you let me know what the ‘set’ position is ?

regards

In the event you need a time-sensitive answer, I'd guess that watchweasol did mean to use the stem that came with the replacement movement. Perhaps that is because it will not have wear on it that the old one will have. It probably won't matter much though, providing the watch it was in was winding and setting well before replacing it. If you use the new stem you will likely have to cut the stem a touch and fit the crown.

"Set" position means with the stem pulled out in the position to set the hands.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Personally, with a screw-down crown like that, I’d just re-use it as is. It may be thread-locked in place. 

I always aim to keep them in the inner stem position when removing, but it’s not essential. Gently twist the stem when you insert the new one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for your response I appreciate your help

it looks like the stem position does seem to split opinions or may not be important.

i will be doing the switch later this week, so I’ll need some luck.

Anyone else willing to offer any advise, I’m all ears and will take onboard.

regards And thanks again 

Gary

My best piece of advice for that movement is to use a screwdriver blade which is wider than the stud that you press to release the stem. This controls what depth you press it to. 

14 hours ago, Gary55 said:

I have removed the Tag stem from the old broken movement and before removing the (temporary stem ?) and inserting my tag stem into new ETA I wanted to ensure I have the stem in the correct position and if battery should be in.

If you wish to use the new stem (not necessary if the one you have is undamaged) you can unscrew the plastic crown and replace it with the TAG crown. However, the TAG crown may be more or less glued to the threads of the original stem so that could possibly pose a challenge. You would probably also have to shorten the new stem using a cutter tool like this and you would possibly need to file the sharp edges after the cut (a simple flat diamond file works well for this). It's a bit fiddly...

The battery should always be removed while working on the movement. Replace the battery (preferably with a new) just before replacing the case back.

There is no "correct position" except the square section of the stem must be fitted into the square hole of the sliding pinion (AKA clutch wheel) so while inserting the stem, apply a little pressure on the crown towards the center of the watch while gently rotating the crown a bit back and forth until it goes in (into the square hole of the sliding pinion which you can't see). Unlike when you remove the stem, you will not have to depress the setting lever button when you replace the stem. Just shove it in! You can see exactly how the stem fits into the winding stem here.

You might find my ETA 955.112 service walkthrough useful. I believe it is identical with the 955.412!?

Good luck!

• Like 1

I’d just like to add that what WW says is very relevant to this forum. Opinions do differ sometimes, and it can be hard to know sometimes what is best based on other opinions alone. In reality, you have to let experience decide for you in the long term. It may also be that your practical “style” defines how you work. 

• Like 1

Success !! with your  help and minimal tools, I managed to get my watch up and running again.

thank you all very much

i put new hands on that look a bit overly (old hands lume had fallen off ) with the new lume compared to the patina on the face. I could not for the life of me get the new second hand on, but original went on easy.

really happy at the mo, hope it all doesn’t fall apart .

cheers Gary

39FE88B9-FFF0-4857-8523-1E5E9C34DACC.jpeg

• Like 1