I was demagnitizing a pocket watch and amplitude of the balance wheel went way down and could not keep the watch running. I put the through the demagnitizer and the amplitude went back up. In each case the watch was still magnetized according to the Lepsi app. What is happening?

Cant imagine how an app will detect magnetism but Im not so good with phones anyway!

With regards to demagnetising... you have to hold the watch near the device, switch it on, the draw the watch away. If you switch it on and bring the watch to the device and then draw it away I think it does not work.

Rgds

Anil

What type are you using beside the Lepsi?

It depends what type of demagnetiser you have in order for it to work and you might have to do it more then once.  anily is talking about the little blue ones that are around and seem to be stocked by suppliers. The one I had you would pass the parts through it. I have said many times on this forum. It is good practise to de magnetise the watch movement you are about to work on as well as any tools that can also get magnetised