I lost my ratchet

So im unsure watch the correct term for this ratchet is.  Its purpose is to hold a certain amount of power on the mainspring in a fusee pocket watch when the fusee is run down.  

So i go to start working on this movement which i disassembled a few days ago.  I had everything neatly organized in small lidded containers.  Low and behold this ratchet was missing.  Of course i looked everywhere but we all know how that worked out. Haha.

So i made another one.  I found a piece of steel off a junker gustav becker movement.  Filed it to the correct thickness.  Used my jewelers saw to cut out the shape.  Halfway thru that, i drilled and reamed a hole to the correct diameter for the screw.  I then finished cuting it out.  I filed the edges to shape.  Sanded it and blued it.

Mine is the first pic.  Not as delicate as the original, but not a bad remake. I dont think

A 3 hour mistake.  Working on clocks for years i have lost my share of parts.  I try to keep everything enclosed and well organized, but it happens.  On my first pocket watch too, no less20200423_150032.thumb.jpg.8041ebdfa298a0310b3c4e288b2ce8a5.jpg.  Haha. 

20200414_180327.jpg

• Like 2

Good job! Setting the preload on those I feel is a lost skill. I've worked on a couple fusee's and had a heck of a time setting those correctly and still wondering if they were right. I think it may be an issue of feel that comes with experience and training on those specific movement types.

• Like 1

When the chain is unable to move with your fingers that is telling you the chain is at the right tension. If the chain is slack around the barrel it will not wind on the fusee cone correctly. It is simply a trial and error. Just be very careful with the chain as you do not want it to twist and snap in bits.   

• Like 1