Seiko 66-9990 - Help extracting movement from case

Hello Forum

I am trying to disassemble this watch and after removing the stem and crown, as well as the two screws holding the movement, am struggling to remove the movement ring, which is holding the movement.

The movement (and dial) are freely moving in a circular way but if I understand correctly I need to remove the movement ring in order to extract the movement - however this ring seems really "stuck" to the case and impossible to remove it ... any advice or suggestions are most welcome! :)

I'm attaching a picture of the movement (and dial).

Thanks in advance for your help (and apologies if it is a dumb question ;-) )

Joao

Movement-01.jpg

Dial-01.jpg

1 minute ago, Jacacanta said:

Thanks in advance for your help (and apologies if it is a dumb question ;-) )

Not dumb but the most frequently asked question by beginners, after how to remove stem perhaps. It's a "front loader", search this forum for that.

• Thanks 1

I've recently serviced two Seiko 66, and none of them were front loaders, but in the first I thought it was because the movement ring was very very tight. I don't know about yours though.

66back.jpg

66out.jpg

Edited by aac58

15 hours ago, aac58 said:

If you don't know this movement, take care with the click spring and with this washer:

Thank you aac58! Will pay particular attention to these two parts. It is indeed my first attempt at working with this movement! 

On 4/20/2020 at 10:38 PM, aac58 said:

this washer:

Just wanted to thank you again aac58 for your warning ! Indeed, that tiny little washer went unnoticed and only separated from the other part in the washing machine :) 

All good now, ready to start the assembling