Need Help for Identifying Movement

Hi guys, I'm new to this watch community, I need to repair my Tag Heuer Formula 1 Quartz Chronograph but I have no clue with which ETA quartz movement should I buy for replacement. Hope some kind person would help me out by giving a small breif of the ETA Quartz movement. Thanks any help would be much appreciated

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-11 at 15.57.26.jpeg

Hello  and welcome to the forum.  With out a picture of the movement (caseback Off) its not possible to identify as there many classes Of ETA movements. With the back off have a look around the plates there should be a logo (makersmark) and a number this is the calibre which identifies the movement.

If you pop the back off the watch you will be able to see what the movement is as it will be stamped very clearly for you to see mate. Be aware that you might have snags buying an eta movement at the moment what with all the shenanigans going on with the swatch group ok

42 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hello  and welcome to the forum.  With out a picture of the movement (caseback Off) its not possible to identify as there many classes Of ETA movements. With the back off have a look around the plates there should be a logo (makersmark) and a number this is the calibre which identifies the movement.

Thanks for advicing

No worries, you would probably find a Ronda movement of the exact same specs for a lot less, but then it wouldn’t be Gen all the way through. The choice is yours mate.

Also what is the problem with the movement that is in the watch now???

Edited by transporter
Added
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, transporter said:

No worries, you would probably find a Ronda movement of the exact same specs for a lot less, but then it wouldn’t be Gen all the way through. The choice is yours mate.

Also what is the problem with the movement that is in the watch now???

Ronda movement works the same as gen one? If so I don't bother changing it? 

Hang on, so you have a problem with your movement and want to replace it with another ETA, but Ronda might do another movement etc but if they do then you won’t bother to change it.
So what you are saying is that you will leave the watch in a non working state??

1 minute ago, transporter said:

Hang on, so you have a problem with your movement and want to replace it with another ETA, but Ronda might do another movement etc but if they do then you won’t bother to change it.
So what you are saying is that you will leave the watch in a non working state??

No bro Hahaha, I'm saying as long as the watch work I don't mind the watch is Franken with other not gen part

Just now, transporter said:

Ahhhh now that makes sense, have you found out what’s wrong with the movement yet or more to the point what Cal. It is??

Dont have the tool to crank the case open, I plan to buy the correct movement and take it to local watchsmith. But can't figure out which is the correct movement 

Is it a screw back case? I think it is on a Tag, you can pop the strap apart and then roll up some sticky tape into a ball and use that.
With the watch in one palm, place the sticky tape ball onto the back of the watch and with your other hand press down and twist in an anti clockwise direction.
Ive used this on countless screw down cases including the odd Rolex, I use it in conjunction with a sticky ball and also the correct case opening tools.

2 minutes ago, transporter said:

Is it a screw back case? I think it is on a Tag, you can pop the strap apart and then roll up some sticky tape into a ball and use that.
With the watch in one palm, place the sticky tape ball onto the back of the watch and with your other hand press down and twist in an anti clockwise direction.
Ive used this on countless screw down cases including the odd Rolex, I use it in conjunction with a sticky ball and also the correct case opening tools.

I try that, thanks for advising 

6 hours ago, 0YellowFish0 said:

Hi guys, I'm new to this watch community, I need to repair my Tag Heuer Formula 1 Quartz Chronograph but I have no clue with which ETA quartz movement should I buy for replacement. Hope some kind person would help me out by giving a small breif of the ETA Quartz movement. Thanks any help would be much appreciated

WhatsApp Image 2020-04-11 at 15.57.26.jpeg

As this is a quartz watch, as you haven't had the back off, how do you know that the problem isn't just the need to replace the battery? As an aside, every single picture on the internet that I can find of this watch shows that the date window on the dial lines up exactly with the  4 o'clock index on the dial, where as yours doesn't? I have a strong suspicion that this a 'replica' and not a genuine Tag.....

THIS one for instance, with a Miyota movement has the same date window alignment.....

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 2

I just wish that people could stop using euphemisms like replica or the even more accomodating 'rep'. Call them what they are, fake, or counterfeit, or just "watch".
And certainly not "Tag Heuer Formula 1 Quartz Chronograph".

Edited by jdm

8 minutes ago, jdm said:

I just wish that people could stop using euphemisms like replica or the even more accomodating 'rep'. Call them what they are, fake, or counterfeit, or just "watch".
And certainly not "Tag Heuer Formula 1 Quartz Chronograph".

I didn't know it was fake, the watch is given to me as a present, sorry bout tat if I offended you by accident. I don't do much research about the watch. I just wear it as normal until last week it broke. I'm looking forward to invest in watch as a hobby. How can you spot that if you dont mind giving a newbie some tips. I genuinely tot it was a gen the whole time...

42 minutes ago, transporter said:

Well spotted that man, to the OP don’t worry people don’t freak out about reps on this forum, so crack on and whip that back off and send photos. No shame in reps I’ve a few myself, that’s how I got into watches in the first place.

Cool man friendly and nice, I guess me too, rep got me into investing in watches as a hobby

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

As this is a quartz watch, as you haven't had the back off, how do you know that the problem isn't just the need to replace the battery? As an aside, every single picture on the internet that I can find of this watch shows that the date window on the dial lines up exactly with the  4 o'clock index on the dial, where as yours doesn't? I have a strong suspicion that this a 'replica' and not a genuine Tag.....

THIS one for instance, with a Miyota movement has the same date window alignment.....

Ohh I see, i literally didn't knew it was fake. This was given to me as a present and I don't do much research on the watches. Thanks for letting me know. Becoz my friend suggested me that battery of a quartz can last for years, so it must have becoz of the movement. I did also suspect that becoz it doesn't come with the box but I didn't care at first.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, jdm said:

And certainly not "Tag Heuer Formula 1 Quartz Chronograph”

OOOOOOOOHHHHH, Touched a nerve i see.
Only kidding mate I know some people just can’t abide fakes, reps, replicas, copies, what ever you to call them, but each to their own.

• Like 1