Question

Hello everyone,

I have broken a bulova watch whilst attempting to replace the battery. I think I went too far and now I don't know how to put it back properly. If anyone can point me to some resources like manuals or exploded parts diagrams etc I think I can repair it but I could not find the documents  myself. On the watch back I found these numbers, 98B236, C8691234, 17202526, none of these produced results.

If these documents prove impossible to find perhaps I will post pictures and the knowledgeable amongst you can help me with visuals.

Cheers

3 answers to this question

https://imgur.com/vlMreRn

https://imgur.com/mSRP5NH

Your post has enlightened me somewhat I did consider that the movement and the watch were not intrinsically paired. The movement is a VD53B. Now I can find more info and perhaps help  myself some more. I am still open to advice though as I am completely new to this hobby.

Thanks for the gentle push in the right direction

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Jojamoco
      Hello all,
      Jon here, not a massive watch guy but I like fine things and machinery of all kinds and I repair/design electronics for a living. My daily driver is a "classic" casio solar powered ( I imagined that this is very pedestrian for the audience here).
      I stumbled across this forum in my search for help. My father gave me a Bulova watch that he had gotten from Costco after he switched to a smart watch (I suspect this is a pattern seen often here). It needed a new battery and I am quite handy so I opened it and attempted to replace it. From my end I am a seasoned electronics repairman and can solder fine pitch, surface mount  components so how hard can it be? Long story short I think I made it worse.
      Onto the help forum!
      Cheers

• By Cont3mplation
      Hi all. I'm absolutely brand new to the world of mechanical watches, but have always been fascinated by the way they functioned. So, I took my first step into them, getting myself a cheap, crappy ebay mechanical watch with a chinese movement. I knew that by all accounts this would be a rubbish movement and mechanism, however I wanted something that I could take a look at without risking any sort of investment, gauge my interest in the hobby etc. However, after receiving it, one of my friends let me know that he had a near identical cheap watch that was broken, and offered me to have a look at it as practice. I agreed, and have spent the last few days doing research and taking it apart, before putting it back together again. I've managed to learn quite a lot from it, however I've found that when putting it back together again, the pole of the escape wheel that keeps it in place either end seems to be too short, as though something had broken off. This means the wheel is sat basically loose and wont reach the crystals at either side to keep it in place while it spins. I see no way to fix this, so i intended to get a new wheel to replace it with, however I can't find the name of this type of movement anywhere. It is the kind used in this: ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jechin-Skeleton-Hand-Wind-Leather-Mechanical/dp/B00VPRZC50/ref=asc_df_B00VPRZC50/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=290896788181&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13027367026987882679&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9047006&hvtargid=aud-545868369748:pla-468442151749&psc=1 ) . If I really wanted to I think I could just order one of the other watches that I've found that use this movement for £5-6, however I was hoping I might be able to keep to my strict student budget and get just the escape wheel somewhere. Does anyone know where I'd be able to find something like that?
      p.s. Apologies for the lack of knowledge on the subject, I know I'll come across a bit new to the whole thing, but trying to learn as I go
    • By Highballn2
      I grew up next to a clock maker and repair man who's business was the largest in Chicagoland area. Seeing the movements and tools and the time consuming precise work amazed me as a child, my love for clocks turned to watches in High School when after saving what seemed forever to buy an Oris TT1 Chronograph because it "looked cool" my horologist neighbor took the ETA/Valjoux 7750 movement out to clean and oil 6 years afterwards, showing me how things worked and that was it. Hooked.  Funny how this watch is the least impressive brand wise, movement wise in my collection years later and yet there's not a timepiece on earth I'd trade it for, to me there isn't anything more interesting than time movements and the folks who enjoy viewing them or collecting them.  
    • By Pen
      Hi Guys
      Pen here, New member
      Cool site full of really good info
      Glad to join you
    • By slendotnet
      Just starting a watch collection. Mostly hand-me-downs at the moment. Looking for advice, repair help and parts.
      Cheers