Question

Hello

A friend of my father gave me this old pocketwatch to see if I could repare it. 

As you see in the picture, the balance wheel is extremely bent. I tried to bend it back, but i cant make it good enough.

Does anyone know where I can find a balancewheel for this Revue 30 movement? I have tried to search around online, however, I cant find any.

Is there a generic balance that would fit in here? 

Best regards

Nicholas

20200126_113525.jpg

20200126_113615.jpg

20200126_150025.jpg

20200126_145703.jpg

2 answers to this question

The bent part is the hairspring, not balance wheel.

Normally you have to order one that's made specifically for this movement (sometimes one hairspring might fit multiple movements in the same family of calibers). There might be a possibility that other hairsprings could fit this balance wheel but chances are slim and even if it fits there's still the aspect of time accuracy.

Someone very experienced might be able to "straighten" it out although it's pretty bad...

Edited by Chopin

• Similar Content

• By thecodedawg
      I just wanted to share this amazing watch.  The damaskeening is special, and it has only lost 10ish seconds over the past 8 days while in my pocket.  

• By MechanicMike
      Hi all-is there a name for the crescent shape of this fork and its purpose? Vague memory of seeing one like this but can't find where I had seen it.
      Thank ya
      MM

• By MechanicMike
      greetings all-been a few months since I've visited hope all is well with everyone. question: do any charts exist telling of American screw thread sizes for vintage pocket watches? I seem to be having a tough time finding anything other than the fact that back then prior to the 1955 "thread summit" I'll call it, where the European and American powers-that-be agreed on a universal standard thread pitch across the board(UNM miniature), that European was metric and American was their standard inch pitches, with the exception of Elgin and Waltham, who made their own specific(adding to my frustrating confusion) threads. I have threaded holes I need to repair and/or chase, and I'd just like to have it handy if I need it. maybe I haven't looked deep enough? 
      Bueller, anyone?
    • By Buf
      Hello everyone 
      I recently bought a lot of pocket watches on Ebay. 
      Between them I found an Alpina pocket watch with movement UH 1116. I saw on internet that usually is referred as Alpina 1116.
      I got the following situation, while removing the wheels bridges, one of the ruby remained on the wheel. 
      Please take a look on the following pictures. 
      I also took some pictures with a microscope in order to explain better the situation. 
      Could you please suggest me what I should do? 
      Is what I got complete? Looking to another ruby it seems there is something missing (holding piece?) 
      Is the movement common? Do You believe I can find the bridge somewhere? 
      BTW I have also found a broken spring
      Many thanks in advance for your suggestions
      Regards 
      Buf

• By rickyb
      Just got my hands on a 
      Waltham 
      6 size
      Model: 1890
      Grade: W
      The other one's I saw like this in the pocket watch DATABASE (4) all have sub second hands.
      Mine does not. Is this possible?
  • Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Evening I thought I'd share my modest attic fresh finds less the nasty wrist bands. I bought them mainly for the Sekonda. Both not working, the Sekonda's balance was wrapped round it's rotor. But the Timex really surprised me as it started to work as I adjusted the time. Stopped a bit, and after a bit of shaking and a gentle warming on a radiator I've got it to go. Though it does , run a little slow. The self winding side of it seems to work, however when I go to wind it manually it the crown winds back when you let go.  I guess this might be something to do with the click not engaging. 
    • I finally got it working as it "should" and back together.  It ended up being two different things both me installing tiny pieces incorrectly and just a little out of sync.  The first issue was the escape wheel/pallet fork that was misaligned and  not installed properly which allowed the minute hand, hour hand, main spring barrel and 3 train wheels less the escape wheel to turn when trying to wind the watch and also when the stem was at position 3 for setting the time.  Thanks to Poljot for pointing me in the direction of the pallet fork/escape wheel interaction. Once that was corrected, the watch would wind and run but when the stem was in position 3 for setting the time, the cannon pinion on the minute arbor would not turn.  After hours of videos, screen shots and guidance by Nickelsilver (Thank you!) this morning I was able to understand how the mechanism was supposed to work which led me to finding that the little sprocket that connects the minute wheel to the auto date change wheel was just a little off center causing the wheels to bind up. Next step is ordering a replacement second hand since the second hand I have has the tip of the second wheel broken off inside it.  In addition, I am interested in how well the watch runs and keeps time.  Before replacing the dial and second wheel the watch ran -2 sec/day.  Probably isn't going to run that good after the work that was just performed so it will def need a service. Thanks again to everyone who contributed and gave me the confidence to continue on.  Here are some final wrap up pics.
    • I really don't like the term spinning freely as that would indicate a problem. The canon pinion has to have friction on whatever it's attached to. Then pay attention to the posting above By spectre6000.  The problem is probably not the Canon pinyin itself it's somewhere in between. Removing or disassembling a watch under power as you found out is not good. All that energy released and went where? The problem with this section of the watch is in order to get here basically the entire watch has to be disassembled. you took your watch to these people to have them butcher the watch did you complain about it afterwards? Most people who pay usually a lot of money to get the Rolex serviced expected to be perfect not destroyed seems more like this would be a warranty issue except of course they're incompetent which would be a problem. Do these people advertise that they service Rolex watches? I'm going to disagree? Often times in watch repair you need a dramatic lesson to grasp that watch repair isn't really this easy. It takes a lot of time and practice learning to successfully to service a watch. For some people they need to start with a Rolex and destroy it to grasp that. Others need to start with a prized family watch and destroy it. Having the entire family criticize you every time you meet them might actually sink in perhaps. Really nice when I can quote other people that have my thoughts. Now we come to the it should be the end but? Where do you want to go with this? Normally people on this group learning watch repair one a learn all of watch repair of unlike just how you can fix my Rolex quickly when this Rolex was butchered before and need to complete servicing. So even if we can help you find the problem and you fix it this watch still need to complete servicing. That's because it's now very dirty from you taken apart and putting it back together and the lubrication has been hopelessly destroyed by taking it apart and putting it back together. Plus whoever serviced it before was incompetent so that alone means the watch needs to be serviced again. Then the cost of sending a Rolex anywhere to get it serviced is expensive because it's expensive watch the components are expensive. But if it's had prior to DIY servicing the cost will go up considerably. Then where do we want to go if you want to continue to fix your watch? He can't really service the watch and you find a problem anyway. There's really no good way to do this and yes we really need the pictures of your watch.someone else's watch because their watches running yours is not. We can't trust your eyes and diagnostic skills as you're a newbie. But in the absence of anything up like to do why did she put the balance wheel and pallet fork back in. Mina to verify that the watch runs and more than a few minutes would be ideal. Make sure the winding works don't worry about the setting. I suspect the problem is on the dial side but it's anything and everything is possible with this watch    
    • Hello Recently I bought a knock off, old style Elma watch cleaning machine. Love it. The spring that controls the motor going up and down the support shaft is quite firm and the tension knob can be a killer on the hands. So I found a scrap piece of wooden corner trim and cut it down to 16 cm to make a brace or stop. Works great!