Effect Of Mainspring.

fjseal

Hello all, I am new to the forum.

Bearing in mind that the escapement controls the mainspring, if you put a random spring into a mechanical movement, could the wrong spring cause the watch to run ten minutes a day fast, or is it just likely to be the usual things like hairspring or magnetism.

Thanks.

Hi Fj,

It kind of depends on how the rogue mainspring differs from the correct spec.

Too thick a mainspring can result in the balance amplitude being so great that the impulse jewel actually bounces off the outside of the pallet fork before the balance reverses its direction of rotation, I believe this is called over-banking. This bounce can impart extra speed to the balance which would speed up the rate and make the watch run fast. This is an easy condition to identify as all you have to do is listen to the watch. In normal operation the tick is nice and even, but if over-banking is happening then it sounds somewhat like a galloping horse. This is not good for the impulse jewel or the pallet fork horns.

Too thin a main spring can cause the balance amplitude to be too low. Surprisingly enough, a very low balance amplitude can also result in an increase in rate, as can often be observed in a watch where the mainspring is almost fully unwound.

That being said, the first place I look if a watch is gaining unacceptably is the hairspring. Check that no coils are stuck together and that there is nothing fouling the coils in any positions.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies. Will check your suggestions; magnetizer arrived today. By the way, did you know that each nineteen minutes spent crawling round on the floor looking for 'pinged parts' is one hour and ten minutes less in the gym. Old Horological Formula.

By the way, did you know that each nineteen minutes spent crawling round on the floor looking for 'pinged parts' is one hour and ten minutes less in the gym.

So it actually saves time. I should be very fit by now! :)

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• I have two Seitz sets, one ancient (with the 3mm anvils) and one just old (with 4mm anvils) plus a collection of spare pushers of assorted vintage. Not one of them is marked with it's size. Something which I have found very irritating when I have been using the tool and not returning pushers to their correct place in the tray every time as it means that I have to get the calipers out and measure them. These were bought as sets and collectively I have over 100 pushers so it would seem highly unlikely (if not inconceivable) that they are all cheap knock offs, especially as they are old enough to pre-date the prevalence of the Chinese knock off industry (at least as applied to watch making tools). I therefore believe them to be original Seitz parts. And there is no numbering. The shape of the bottom of the pump pushers is the same as your photo. The only thing that may not be the same is that the slotted insert (looks like a screw but is in fact a bayonet) should be brass. Yours looks the same colour as the steel but that could just be the lighting.
    • The original database is available on iOS devices here: https://apps.apple.com/fi/app/ranfft-watch-movements-archive/id6502008939
    • I no longer have my set so I can't help anymore sorry. Many on here have the set as its a must have tool for watch making/ repair.
    • It needs to be stirred before use and that makes it feel a lot thinner than when in the bottle. Does it feel as thin as 9010 after stirring it? I guess not! Yes, it's strange! I don't know, but if it is on impact it would make sense.
    • Thanks, OH! I agree with you. I'm currently looking at them under magnification, and they are consistent in shape and form for each section (flat pushers, pump pushers, concave, reamers, etc.). Though, a few are in bad condition and need to be replaced.  Before I cancel the return I have already initiated on eBay, can any of our members check to see if there are inconsistencies in markings on their sets? Also, I have included a snapshot of the bottom of one of the pump pushers, which are very unique in shape.  Can someone tell me if the bottoms of their pump pushers match this photo?  I'm hoping that Seitz had some inconsistencies in manufacturing over the years regarding markings.  Crossing my fingers. I appreciate you guys. Frank