What's In A Movement - Rolex Or Actua?

The second-hand watch market throws up some interesting questions. Here are two photographs below. The first is of a movement from a 1950s Rolex currently advertised on eBay for £750. The second is the movement from my Actua Geneve - which cost me £16 from eBay some months ago.

They both appear to be ETA 1100 movements. The Rolex one has slight curves to the sides of the triangular bridge but, in all other respects they look identical. Is the Rolex vastly overpriced? Was my Actua vastly underpriced? Who knows... just another keyhole view into the minefield that watch collecting can be...!

post-64-0-46655400-1419635307_thumb.jpg

post-64-0-35758900-1419635322_thumb.jpg

Let's be honest Will, Rolex are are always overpriced. Even though they make minor tweeks to the movement, the are ridiculously expensive for what they are. I can understand there being a premium charged for the in house manufactured movements.

• Like 1

Let's be honest Will, Rolex are are always overpriced. Even though they make minor tweeks to the movement, the are ridiculously expensive for what they are. I can understand there being a premium charged for the in house manufactured movements.

I quite agree - I was just amused by the huge difference between £750 and £16... :D

Just goes to show how much (price, but not actual VALUE) is placed on a name. My other half just got a pair of sunglasses by Chanel - for $550...!!   WTF - how can three bits of moulded plastic and a couple of hinges be worth $550?

Oh - you get the "Chanel" logo on the sides - I forgot. So you're paying Chanel for the privilege of advertising them!

At least in a watch, you can sort of see the craftsmanship that went into it. But even then, you're paying a lot for the name.

Nothing has changed in 3000 years my friends.

Even King Solomon, when discussing a man's life, opened with this statement in 1000BC.

Ecclesiastes 1:2  (KJB)

Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity.

...and his father King David

Psalms 39:5b  (KJB)

...verily every man at his best state is altogether vanity.

The corporations know this, and use it for profit.

So much for human progress huh   :P

If you wanna watch a very interesting BBC Documentary series on it.  Look up "The Centaury of Self" on Vimeo, it's fascinating to say the least.

• Like 1

The movement is marked "Tudor" - but the face, which has obviously been repainted, says "Rolex"... I think if I'd paid £750 for a Tudor/Rolex, I'd prefer to get more for my money than just a decent case and a repainted dial.

But then, people do pay for a name without really considering the movement...