Tool Purchase List 2014

I decided to move from clocks to watches just over a year ago. My interest has always been watches since my 11th birthday. 

As my career progressed the watches on my wrist just became more elaborate and more expensive. 

However it was not long after that decision that I learn,t that watches require more attention to detail, a higher skill level and I would also need more tools. A good analogy is there is a saying in clocks "if they rattle they run if they are tight will never run". With watches either of these scenarios the watch, if it runs it will run crap.

Willfly put up a list of the watches he purchased in 2014. Here is my list of tools I purchased in 2014.

Platax tool. New 

Seitz jeweling set Used 

Small size collets for my lathe Used (at least a dozen)

Gravers used & new (many)

Re-furbished L&R watch cleaning machine Used

Dumont tweezers (to be opened as a present on Xmas )

Bergeon roller remover New 

Bergeon watch case remover Used 

Bezel removing tool (diver stye) New 

Horotec watch back remover New

Various watch movement holders most new some used

Watch hand remover levers New

Watch timing machine New

Bergeon ergonomic oilers

Bergeon auto oiler (1A) 

K&D pocket watch mainspring winder Used

K&D watch mainspring winders Used but sold as Mint condition

Then of course is the oils, greases, glues, cleaning materials.  Not forgetting the books lots & lots of them

For 2015 top of the list is a Jacot tool. 

Then more learning and practice and more practice.

Plus without doubt studying more of Mark,s vids

Merry xmas to you all

Clockboy, you must have bought the last Platax tool on the market. Now neither Cousins or Otto Frei can supply them nor can they get hold of a replacemment perforated disk for my own Platax. Bergeon simply removed the item from the Otto Frei order list. Let's hope that the Chinese step in. Althouigh the screw extractor that I purchased from them is useless. The pins don't even line-up, and one is wobbly - beware!

A few weeks ago I bought a near-mint Obama Precision Jacot tool for 120 euro from a lovely little back-street watchmaker in Heidelberg. He has a second one and lots more - maybe worth a trip to this lovely town.

Heidelberg was the town that used to produce high end printing machines and when an apprentice worked with many of these high quality presses.

The platex tool is one of my fav,s & I have used it a lot. Well worth getting yours to work correctly. The main expense & purchase was the L&R I could not work without it, cleaning the bits is now a breeze.

Must go getting that look from her who matters.

I'm surprised the Obama Precision Jacot tool worked better than the Chinese...being Obama, there is no Precision and should not work!  :)

Cheers,

Bob

P.S. I couldn't resist, sorry about the political joke!

Edited by bobm12

cdjswiss is right did an internet search and apart from a few replacement bits for the Platex at Cousins there is nothing out there. I will really have to look after this one as I would be lost without it. The traditional way of removing balances on a lathe is so dodgy to say the least. Tried it once and although it was successful, it is time consuming and one slip and the watch is dust.

I will really have to look after this one as I would be lost without it.

A couple of important things, don't drive out a staff with the tool in the roller removing position and don't drop the punches. If a punch the tiny holes get blocked, they are almost impossible to clear. I bought a Platax in near mint condition recently, only to discover that two of the punches were blocked. I did eventually manage to clear them, but it was a swine of a job.